LinuxLite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul B.

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I just completed my third install of LinuxLite, v. 2.4, 32bit, and as I didn't see any threads on this distro I wanted to start one.

I did a lot of searching for a distro that would suit my needs. I refurb a lot of laptops and netbooks. Many are either older or on the low end of the power scale, or both. And with XP heading for the sunset I needed a replacement. ubuntu was just a bit too overdriven with its Unity interface, and offered no performance benefit over Winy or even XP. Linux Mint, Mate came close. But then I found LinuxLite.

I have found LL to be almost perfect in that regard. It is stable and fast, and it is designed to be a close replacement for Windows in terms of how it behaves. It is easy to set up, and enjoys the benefits of being a derivative of the very popular ubuntu. And it's also very elegant. A lot of thought has gone into the distro.

This last install was on a Dell 1545. I couldn't get Vista to operate correctly, and MS has long abandoned caring about the OS. Finally I bit the bullet and converted the unit, and my friend is ecstatic about the result. The wifi driver was easy to install, and the laptop has new life breathed into it. Linux has come a long way, and I can honestly say that as far as the desktop goes it is ready for prime time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.