conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Roboscan is indeed free. I'm using it. It has its own engine and the Bitdefender engine. So it deserves to be taken seriously. I have had avast! and Webroot. Roboscan is lighter on the system than both of them, a real plus. It updates multiple times a day. It's clearly not just a regional AV, but one that deserves to be in the discussion with the prestige free AVs.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
360 internet security free
or Eset Smart security :)Paid
My recommendation

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Roboscan is indeed free. I'm using it. It has its own engine and the Bitdefender engine. So it deserves to be taken seriously. I have had avast! and Webroot. Roboscan is lighter on the system than both of them, a real plus. It updates multiple times a day. It's clearly not just a regional AV, but one that deserves to be in the discussion with the prestige free AVs.
Yes, Roboscan is very light, I could affirm this. Only, in Windows 8.1, it hinders the fast startup (hybrid shutdown/hibernate of Windows).

And, its firewall is poor.
And, its BitDefender engine is very old.
And, the main program is not updates for some few years.

omidSecurity

Level 1
Apr 24, 2015
yes my friend
download.amnpardaz.com/PadvishAntivirusFree.exe
the language of this software is Persian.

Greetings AntiVirus version Padvish 1, 4, 38, 1485
Free
The addition of the English language during installation
Game Mode
Scanning cloudy
Virtual Keyboard
Upon scanning the disk connection horse
Possible exception of the files and folders from the Guardian or the scanner in three ways by content, by the path where the file is stored by the malware
size 135 mb
DOWNLOAD

Reactions: MalwareT

rienna

Level 2
Verified
Mar 28, 2015
I'm curious if anyone here has tested these though?
Such as SkyShield.
I already know about the others like IObit malwarefighter which considering it's constant ZERO level of performance should be considered fake by now imo.

I think another missing from the list would be Anvisoft Smart Defender. (also like malwarefighter, basically useless, even the paid version doesn't really amount to anything).
http://www.anvisoft.com/smart-defender.html

Voodoo shield technically isn't an antivirus but it can check files on virus total and is pretty useful to have around.
(It's basically a sandbox for your browser).
https://voodooshield.com/

There's also http://www.csantivirus.com/
Which apparently now uses sophos engine. (So they say. but I haven't seen anyone test it yet).

There's also ClamWin + ClamSentinel (two seperate programs, you have to install ClamWin for ClamSentinel to work but once you do you have a real-time antivirus purely based on ClamAV all of it is opensource).

http://www.clamwin.com/content/view/18/46/
And
http://clamsentinel.sourceforge.net/

I don't recommend softpedia. Most of their downloads are outdated.
ClamWin and ClamSentinels developers host their downloads on sourceforge which is 100% safe and does not include any bundled crapware.

Mr.X

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
Any recommendation for a current non (or least) convoluted, bloated, fat, nagging, f*rting, light FREE antivirus?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Any recommendation for a current non (or least) convoluted, bloated, fat, nagging, f*rting, light FREE antivirus?
Bitdefender Free, Sophos Home and Windows Defender are the ones I'd recommend if you're looking for completely bloat free, non-upsell/advertising laden protection that's simple to use.
Kaspersky Free and McAfee Cloud AV fit the criteria too but contain some upsell attempts in their UI.

In terms of lightness you'll have to evaluate that yourself on your own system.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I have just settled with Avast for the same reasons. I use only File Shield and I have disabled all cloud features to keep it as light as possible, so the tradeoff is lower detection of new threats. With the silent mode enabled, there is no nagging, you can actually disable GUI process completely, so only Avast service will be running.

Attachments

• capture_09052017_215244.jpg
    capture_09052017_215244.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 346
  • capture_09052017_215530.jpg
    capture_09052017_215530.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 369
  • capture_09052017_215846.jpg
    capture_09052017_215846.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 367

Mr.X

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
I have just settled with Avast for the same reasons. I use only File Shield and I have disabled all cloud features to keep it as light as possible, so the tradeoff is lower detection of new threats. With the silent mode enabled, there is no nagging, you can actually disable GUI process completely, so only Avast service will be running.
Unfortunately is not for me or computers of mine. It's for customers' desktops/laptops. I was on Avira but that bugging upsell pop ups are really annoying.

Reactions: RoboMan

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Unfortunately is not for me or computers of mine. It's for customers' desktops/laptops. I was on Avira but that bugging upsell pop ups are really annoying.
For customers you better think on a better forget-and-install and the most complete, but light, efficient solution so they don't get crazy.

For your case, i would say: Avast Free (hardened mode) + Windows Firewall or BitDefender Free + Windows Firewall. Usually i would recommend Windows Defender too but i don't think it suits noobs customers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.