Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Basically, is there any difference in security when using a local account?
I'm concerned about malware-related security and not about privacy. My OS is Win 8.1 Update 1.

Regardless of account type as long as UAC is set to default will I be protected by UAC?

I

illumination

If you are the only person using that system, you can use your admin account and UAC and be fine as long as your conscience of your clicks and watch the UAC prompts..

If others share this PC, then you might be better off running a local account and even password protecting the UAC.

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
My PC is shared, sadly.
But the reason I want to change my "regular" account is because I want the windows apps in the start screen to work.
Right now, I'm on a local account, but apps won't work. But they work on the admin account.
Whenever I click an app, an error would open saying: "This app can't open. There's a problem with (app). Contact your system administrator about repairing or reinstalling it."

I

illumination

My PC is shared, sadly.
But the reason I want to change my "regular" account is because I want the windows apps in the start screen to work.
Right now, I'm on a local account, but apps won't work. But they work on the admin account.
Whenever I click an app, an error would open saying: "This app can't open. There's a problem with (app). Contact your system administrator about repairing or reinstalling it."

Try this solution first,

From the Desktop,

Press the Windows Key + R
Type: WSReset.exe
Hit ok.

This will reset the windows store/apps cache

If this does not resolve your issue, look into Refreshing your system.

Things Refreshing your system does:

· Your files and personalization settings won't change.
· Your PC settings will be changed back to their defaults.
· Apps from Windows Store will be kept.
· Apps you installed from discs or websites will be removed.
· A list of removed apps will be saved on your desktop.

Reactions: XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
ok thanks... i'll try refreshing the system... the wsreset.exe seems not to work for me...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
On Windows 8, they are different things;
  • Local vs Microsoft - Account Type
  • Standard vs Admin - Account Privileges

The first account created with either be a Microsoft (signed with your email) or Local, you cannot change it to a Standard account.

upload_2014-4-9_18-9-36.png

Adding a Child's account will use Family Safety and reports will be provided via email.

upload_2014-4-9_18-11-30.png

Reactions: XhenEd

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
On Windows 8, they are different things;
  • Local vs Microsoft - Account Type
  • Standard vs Admin - Account Privileges

The first account created with either be a Microsoft (signed with your email) or Local, you cannot change it to a Standard account.

View attachment 9618

Adding a Child's account will use Family Safety and reports will be provided via email.

View attachment 9621
Where did you find "add a child account" ?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
PC Settings > Accounts > Other Accounts > Add an account > Add a child's account (above Privacy Statement link).

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.