Advice Request Looking for a free Autofill extension

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Hey, I am looking for autofill extension (chrome or opera), Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

My browser's philosophy is all or nothing, if I allow autofill, it also saves everything else, history, keystrokes, etc.

If it would support some password manager, it would be nice. Avira and Lastpass are paid, Keeper does not autofill.

Some extensions are way too demanding.

capture_12012018_113605.jpg

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I can not figure out, how to get it working. It seems to require to create a profile for an each webpage.

Hey. I use LastPass and it's totally free. For autofilling passwords. forms. payment details, everthing!
I have not found a free version, the current account says trial. Besides its autofill is too complicated (too many categories).
capture_12012018_131857.jpg

Attachments

• capture_12012018_132023.jpg
    capture_12012018_132023.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 278

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I can not figure out, how to get it working. It seems to require to create a profile for an each webpage.

I have not found a free version, the current account says trial. Besides its autofill is too complicated (too many categories).
View attachment 202585
When trial is over, it turns to the free version which is basically the same

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
When trial is over, it turns to the free version which is basically the same
OK, thanks. I guess I will keep using it, it fills in almost everything, except the password. I can live with that, until I find something else.

Bitwarden
Nice, but I can only copy/paste, it refuses to autofill anything.

Attachments

• capture_12012018_145325.jpg
    capture_12012018_145325.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Unless something has changed, LastPass is shareware for phones but free for PCs and laptops. The only extra that Premium provides for PC users is priority support.

OK, thanks. I guess I will keep using it, it fills in almost everything, except the password. I can live with that, until I find something else.

If you use the Autologin option, it will fill in the password. On most websites where I'm registered I don't find that option necessary, and frankly sometimes it can cause problems. You have to click Advanced Settings in the website edit box to get at that option.

ShsjDj.png

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
If you use the Autologin option, it will fill in the password.
Yes, but I would have to create an entry for an each webpage (hundreds) and I was hoping for something more universal. I want to use LastPass only for less important webpages, where I use Password123 for all. If I could at least copy/paste password or a note, but it will not let me.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Yes, but I would have to create an entry for an each webpage (hundreds) and I was hoping for something more universal. I want to use LastPass only for less important webpages, where I use Password123 for all. If I could at least copy/paste password or a note, but it will not let me.

I hope i'm understanding this right :unsure:
If i remember rightly, when you log into a website, a pop up appears and ask if you want to add it to Lastpass, you either click no or later then afterwards when you have time you can sort them into the respective categories or just leave them all in miscellaneous.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

Are you wanting to use the same password for every website?

I do indeed have hundreds of entries in my LastPass vault, but LastPass does most of the work. i don't feel burdened.

Last edited:
Reactions: given and Weebarra

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018

Nice, but I can only copy/paste, it refuses to autofill anything.
Chrome version of bitwarden is bit lacking. Firefox is more combatible with bitwarden

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Are you wanting to use the same pasword for every website?
For almost every webpage. Maybe there is an option to copy/paste an entry and just change login url.

I do indeed have hundreds of entries in my LastPass vault, but LastPass does most of the work. i don't feel burdened.
Yeah, I am not used to it, I have only a dozen of passwords in KeePass, maybe I am just over-thinking it and should get accustomed to it. I am just afraid, that it will take a lot of time to create all logins and then I might loose the account and all the work would have been done for nothing.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
For almost every webpage. Maybe there is an option to copy/paste an entry and just change login url.

Yeah, I am not used to it, I have only a dozen of passwords in KeePass, maybe I am just over-thinking it and should get accustomed to it. I am just afraid, that it will take a lot of time to create all logins and then I might loose the account and all the work would have been done for nothing.

Would the Q&A page help you any ? Many of the topics have videos to walk you through it. One thing i do know is that you will NOT lose your account. :)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Would the Q&A page help you any ? Many of the topics have videos to walk you through it
I will see. I am a kind of a man, who like it simple, just basics. When I was at MacDonald for the first time and I said, that I want a hamburger, they asked me, what sauce, what on it, etc. I was like what? I just a want a simple hamburger, they kept asking, so I ran away and never came back. :D

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

You can do however you please, but I probably don't need to tell you that using the same password on every site is against best practices.

The only way you lose the Last Pass account is if you lose your Master Password (and it seems like there may even be some resort for that, help me if you can folks). You can write it down. You can insure against that burning down with the house by sending it in an encrypted email to a friend with instructions to store it in a particular email folder. The only limit for methods is your imagination.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
OK then. I use the same password for it like for everything else, so I should not forget it, it just had to be longer, so: Password123Password123

No :eek: don't use a password that is for everything else for your master password (unless you are joking) If ever one of your passwords for your email or whatever is leaked/hacked then some criminal could attempt to get into your lastpass account and then they have everything you've added to it.

Once you have set your Master password (i wrote mine down initially) and made up a little rhyme that related to the password, it is surprising how quickly you learn your master password because you no longer have the worry of remembering it along with 35 /50 others. No one likes simplicity more than me and anyone on here knows that and i get on alright with it.

This explains more about your Master password and recovery options :giggle:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I think the most plausible scenario for me losing my master password would be brain injury. I have a master password that includes special characters as well as numbers and letters. You sure don't want to use a password that has "password" in it. That will be a first resort for a hacker.

I suggest pick a good memorizable password.
/[1PINK2=3turns4==5to6=7RED8]\
That's an example of a darn good master password. However, you don't have to be quite that ambitious. Mine's not quite that good, but it's still rated "strong".

Let LastPass generate a password for each website. It'll do a good job. Configure it for twenty or more characters; lower case and upper case letters, numerals, and special characters required; ambiguous characters excluded. (Rarely a website will limit your number of characters or refuse special characters.) You can export your whole collection of LastPass passwords to other programs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.