Looking for basic antivirus software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheSuperGeek

Avira Free AV.
Avira just include AV + Scans + Cloud no more... BUT very good signatures !:)
The free version is named free because it's free.:D But you can upgrade if you want more !

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Here is my favorites:
Qihoo 360 TSe

Easy for use, sandbox, very good detection and fast zero-day detection. Awesome Web shield and using BitDefender and Avira Engines(Update only one peer day) but new version is not very good for slow PCs. FREE!

Eset Smart Security
Very easy and good for slow PCs, awesome detection, freaky fast zero-day detection, good webshield.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Referring to a basic Antivirus, I am not looking for advanced features like Web Protection, Sandboxing, Proactive Zero-day Protection (HIPS/BB), Multi-engine etc.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would say that AVG Antivirus Free would be one to consider.It does come with Ads persuading you to upgrade to pro versions however it really spends most of the time running in the background.
Link protection & email protection are about it for features

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Please stay on topic.@Huracan asked about Basic AV programs those that are "Bare Bones".

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Referring to a basic Antivirus, I am not looking for advanced features like Web Protection, Sandboxing, Proactive Zero-day Protection (HIPS/BB), Multi-engine etc.

Avira is what you're looking for. Very simple signature based AV.
Avast can be a choice as you can customize the installation (install only file shield and uncheck deepscreen)
AVG is also a good choice as the free version offers good signatures and behavior blocker.

A

Antivirus Tester

Avira is what you're looking for. Very simple signature based AV.
Avast can be a choice as you can customize the installation (install only file shield and uncheck deepscreen)
AVG is also a good choice as the free version offers good signatures and behavior blocker.

avira is really good

H

hjlbx

Avira Free is nothing but a basic scanner... (too much bandwidth for some)

BitDefender Free is good also - but it has web shield... (have to be signed-in always for signatures)

Panda Cloud AV ...

Others already mentioned these.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Two not mentioned, ..& not among popular favorites here, are Adaware (I believe it is..) a simple signature based AV, and F-Secure which I've thus far not tried.

Update: We use Avast! Premier on Windows 8.1 which one staffer (spoiler: His name begins with an 'H':rolleyes:) imparted the wisdom to know that it provides the same basic protection as the free version!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.