Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I agree Avast is somewhat basic with everything based on signatures, and you can set it to gaming mode so there are no pop ups whatsoever however if it runs into a threat it will not inform you either so you have to take note of that. Other than that there aren't any other features such as sandboxing (sandboxing will happen if the application causes Avast to do a deepscreen scan before it is executed).

Another one would be Avira, if you set it to automatic mode there won't be any popups at all, including the quick scan after it detects threats, which you also have to take note. However with Avira you won't be able to activate gaming mode (to block all popups) unless you are using a premium. Although Avira also has a cloud, the default is to automatically scan suspicious files in the cloud without any interaction with the user so i wouldn't count that as a problem.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Most antivirus need to make it very flexible especially web shield feature for faster blocking response by matching the database of malicious links and should also include the file from their database for detecting real time in system.

Anyway another basic AV would be VirusBlokAda Antivirus (VBA 32) as far I know it does not contain any advance techniques at all.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
It seems every other post I make now is about avast!, but anyway, avast! offers great modularity and configurability, so you can install only the modules you want, plus you can disable features such as DeepScreen and heuristics, thus making it very basic. Note however that this would reduce the safety offered by the product. avast! has popups, but as has been noted, you can enable Gaming Mode to disable them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.