Battle Looking for new Chromebook...

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Anything without Intel.

I bought a case of these earlier in the year and we're super happy with them;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXYG77O

Speedy, reliable, incredible battery life, touchscreen, 2 in 1, full HD, lots of ports, decent 2x2 Wireless AC (about 400Mbps). Nice shiny IPS LED. Pretty much the only CB that met every requirement I had.

They are daily use devices for us due to the high security of them and we're quiet happy. Also the security theater evaporates with them and you never really have a security concern again. Toss a VPN on for travel and forget about any other hassle. I predict I will never buy a Windows laptop again, no reason to and I don't play windows games on laptops.

Just create a fake google account when you open it up. Install a couple browser extensions, and move on with life. (y)

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I've been considering whether to switch to a Chromebook too but with all the ones I've looked, at, including the two linked above, the battery can't be removed, so when the battery goes (and it's always the first thing to go if all the tablets I've had are anything to go by) then that's it. And yes, I have always been very careful with charging, not letting the charge drop below 20% and not quite fully charging except occasionally to recallibrate.

What I want is the same as I have with my laptop. Not only a battery that can be replaced, but a machine that can also run on mains without a battery in situ. Until that is the case, then, for me, a Chromebook is not a viable replacement. I've had my current laptop for over nine years with no significant issues. Average life of the tablets I've had before the battery packs in is just over two years.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Is battery removal still a thing? These new gen high density Li-Ion batteries rarely ever require replacement. Chromebooks run extremely cool, this prolongs battery life significantly - some say up to 5,000+ charge cycles. The old days on hotter intel laptops that cycle might be as low as 500.

Side note, I had to buy my daughter a Windows based laptop this week(ugh). She's doing a lot of art right now and needed drawing tablets to work, and of course Chromebook's can't install drivers. So she's a special case in that regard. I picked her up an Elitebook from a local refurbishing firm I know the owner of. i5-5575, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, Win10 paid $250 out the door and was new in box looking so I stole it at that price but I have access to piles and piles of insane laptop deals around here. I did a Win10 reset on it, locked it down, installed some security apps and she's good to go.

So that's the only case where Chromebook wasn't an option in the home for a mobile device. My daughter is actually annoyed by this development as she much prefers Chromebook because that's all she's really used at School and Home.

PS: Her laptop was behind 12 bios and microcode versions - that was two hours blown stepping through the update path, but since that included Spectre/Meltdown, no avoidance.

Reactions: uninfected1

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
If I had got anywhere near 5000 cycles with any of my tablets I would have been delighted. Unfortunately the typical figure was way lower - better than 500 but not massively so. And price didn't seem to make much difference to battery performance. The pricier tablets were virtually as bad as the budget ones. With a tablet it's not such an issue but for what would be my primary home computer I would want much better so, reluctantly, it will probably be another laptop.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
D

Deleted member 178

What wears the batteries are constant discharge/charge and environmental heat.

1- keep the machine plugged, when full, the battery will detect and stop the charging.
2- when shutdown, put the machine in a fresh place.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This thread is not Troubleshooting. Moved to Compare Hardware.

What is your maximum budget and any special requirements?

Reactions: upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.