Battle Looking for possible alternatives

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
I'm looking for other solutions, either paid or free, preferably one suite, that would include a good antivirus, HIPS and a decent firewall.

I like to configure things and create rules for individual apps - exactly what you can do in a Comodo:

"Comodo Firewall also makes it easy for you to specify exactly which applications are allowed to connect to the Internet and immediately warns you when there is suspicious activity.

Whenever an application makes a request for Internet or network access, Comodo Firewall allows or denies this request based upon the Firewall Ruleset that has been specified for that application." - I always get a notification like this one:
529399-comodo-firewall-10-popup-queries.jpg

The same goes for it's HIPS. But too much prompts - I just want to be notified if any app tries to connect to internet and few HIPS notifications per day. And not too heavy on resources, please.

I would love to use COMODO Internet Security, but their AV is weak.

So what other opinions are there? What about KIS, can I configure it the same way? I was thinking maybe Malwarebytes + Windows Defender, but Malwarebytes doesn't replace firewall, right?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
The combination of avast! + COMODO is popular. It is possible to use COMODO only for firewall. As for hips, like a long-categorized detective Novel, you will get a sense of accomplishment when you read it, but the road is long and difficult.

Recommend comodo topic of security when using comodo. It is very helpful, such as cs setting that is widely supported.

I

illumination

If you want to keep light, but have those type notifications, Eset is a viable option. Placing both the Firewall and HIPS into "interactive mode" would grant you what you require. Although i should add, with CIS and it's AV, it is merely a fashion accessory, the Sandbox and firewall and HIPS are it's strengths. Really no need to switch to anything if you are happy with it and just concerned the AV is not up to par, as you are still protected with the rest of the suite, not to mention i know that Comodo has been slowly working on bringing their AV up to speed.

V

VHSMSDOS

Well what you need is a good premium suite with a lot of settings.

Kaspersky Internet Security fits the bill perfectly, and so does Norton Security or Eset Internet Security. There are also great suites that are less popular but definitely worth it such as G-Data and Bullguard.

I don't recommend Bitdefender as its settings are limited and it's quite buggy, and any suite without a dedicated firewall won't do, so that rules out Trend Micro, Emsisoft, F-Secure and such.

There is no best AV as it depends on personal opinions, your needs, what system you use and such. Why not taking your time and trying out the suites that offer the options you need ? You'll improve your knowledge on the subject, will know for sure what product is best for you and will get a few months of free protection since most AVs offer a 30 days trial (y)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
@RXZ6Q have you considered the long term? Comodo is good now, with its strengths as mentioned by @PathFinder. However, I feel like Comodo must be just scratching the surface really. With version 10, I don't think they have a single bug breaking down the door of the company, where they had dozens at a time going back a few years. I am guessing they are working more and more now toward version 11, which could have some startling tricks for simpler HIPs and maybe even more firewall options, who knows? For sure, the GUI will get better I think and Valkyrie and Virscope (hopefully finally). Come to think of it, I wonder when their target for 11 is lol? :LOL::rolleyes:

Comodo is I think the best single protection app for free at this time. Protection-wise it is right there at the top of the heap free or pay. Use it now and learn everything and maybe then even better will come...

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Thank you, guys! I tried the trial version of KIS and I'm really happy, it's working like a charm. I just have 2 questions: Any good tutorial on how to configure/harden it? And how important is the Kaspersky Security Network - what impact does it have on detection/protection and should I enable/disable it?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
If You run a search in the forum (specially in Kaspersky section), You will find some threads talking about this matter, also check my recently post: SECURE: Complete - harlan4096's Security Config 2018

About KSN, probably many users will complain about it (because it sends much info to the cloud) and keep it disabled, but it adds a powerful extra layer of protection against new and unknown threats...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.