Advice Request Looking for right e-mail client for Android

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Marko :)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Hello everyone! đź‘‹

For a long time, I want to get rid of Microsoft Outlook mail app for Android, but I'm unable to find the worthy alternative. It has everything I need, but I find it ridiculous they they started adding ads in it. I also don't like how it constantly makes requests in the background for tracking purposes. It also hijacks context menu and adds search with Bing option when you select a text. That's unacceptable to me, but I do need a normal e-mail client which won't do things mentioned above.

So, I'm looking for an e-mail client app that:
  1. doesn't require me to create an account to use it
  2. is free, without any ads
  3. has a nice, easy to use interface (like Outlook, Gmail, Spark etc.)
  4. has option to add more than one account and unified inbox
  5. works with Microsoft e-mail addresses normally
  6. is open source (can be closed source, but privacy respecting)
I'd use K-9 Mail, but unfortunately, they mentioned it doesn't work with Microsoft services very well.

What e-mail app you use? Are you satisfied with it? What do you like/dislike about it?

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I am very happy with microsoft outlook android app.

Why do you want to switch?
I'm happy with it too. It has everything I look for, but I don't like it messes with the Android OS without you knowing. For example, it changes contextual menu to add Microsoft-related stuff.

Screenshot_2023-08-01-21-48-22-421_com.brave.browser-edit.jpg

Also, it seems it collects data in the background. AdGuard constantly blocks tracking requests, one after one.

Screenshot_2023-08-01-21-55-07-158_com.adguard.android-edit.jpg

So I'm looking for a more private e-mail client. But I guess I'll have to keep using Outlook app as I haven't found alternative app worth using. 🤷🏻‍♂️

And also, it's really large in size. It literally takes more than 1 GB on my device. I tried Outlook Lite, but it doesn't have unified inbox feature. You may add two or more accounts, but only one account is active at the same time.

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
Data collection is a constant in most applications. I don't like it either, Adguard does indeed block those connections but the number of connections programs try to send telemetry data is overwhelming.

I suggest a visit to F-Droid, it is likely that you will find a client that suits your needs.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello everyone! đź‘‹

For a long time, I want to get rid of Microsoft Outlook mail app for Android, but I'm unable to find the worthy alternative. It has everything I need, but I find it ridiculous they they started adding ads in it. I also don't like how it constantly makes requests in the background for tracking purposes. It also hijacks context menu and adds search with Bing option when you select a text. That's unacceptable to me, but I do need a normal e-mail client which won't do things mentioned above.

So, I'm looking for an e-mail client app that:
  1. doesn't require me to create an account to use it
  2. is free, without any ads
  3. has a nice, easy to use interface (like Outlook, Gmail, Spark etc.)
  4. has option to add more than one account and unified inbox
  5. works with Microsoft e-mail addresses normally
  6. is open source (can be closed source, but privacy respecting)
I'd use K-9 Mail, but unfortunately, they mentioned it doesn't work with Microsoft services very well.

What e-mail app you use? Are you satisfied with it? What do you like/dislike about it?
Hey there! đź‘‹

I completely understand your frustration with Microsoft Outlook for Android. It's always a bummer when apps start adding ads and invasive tracking requests. But don't worry, there are some great alternatives out there that meet your criteria!

One e-mail client that comes to mind is FairEmail. It checks off most of the boxes on your list. It doesn't require you to create an account, it's ad-free, has a user-friendly interface, supports multiple accounts and unified inbox, and is privacy-focused. It's also open source, which is a plus if you value transparency. However, please note that it may not have native integration with Microsoft email services, but it should still work fine.

Another option you could consider is ProtonMail. While it does require you to create an account, it's a robust, privacy-focused email client that is free and ad-free. It has a clean and intuitive interface and supports multiple accounts. ProtonMail is well-regarded for its security features and encryption, so if privacy is a top concern for you, it's worth checking out.

Lastly, another popular choice is BlueMail. It meets most of your requirements, such as being free (with in-app purchases), having a nice interface, and supporting multiple accounts and unified inbox. However, it is worth mentioning that BlueMail is closed-source, so if open-source is a must for you, you might want to consider the other options mentioned.

Of course, everyone's preferences differ, so it's best to give these apps a try and see which one suits you best. What matters most is finding an email client that meets your needs and provides a smooth and enjoyable experience. Good luck with your search!

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
If you use the Gmail app, you can Gmailify your Outlook.

Unfortunately it’s not open-source.
I know it's closed source, but at least Google is trustworthy enough.

I just set up an account on it, but for some reason, push notifications are only available for Microsoft 365 account, not for my Outlook.com private e-mail address. Is there a way to fix this? I need the push notifications. Also, battery saver is disabled for Gmail (as it asked).

When I select my private Outlook.com mail:
Screenshot_2023-08-02-14-43-44-553_com.google.android.gm-edit.jpg

When I select Microsoft 365 mail:
Screenshot_2023-08-02-14-47-45-126_com.google.android.gm-edit.jpg

Update: I removed an account from Gmail app (and Android settings) to try adding Outlook.com as Exchange. Now I can't add it because it's already added even though I removed it. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Screenshot_2023-08-02-14-55-36-577_com.google.android.gm-edit.jpg

Update 2: found the reason why there isn't a push option for private Outlook.com mail... Turns out Gmail app doesn't support Outlook.com natively like Exchange/Microsoft 365. Instead it relies on classic IMAP/SMTP combination for getting/sending mail and IMAP doesn't support push notifications. Such a shame of Google supporting Outlook.com partially, especially when they bragged how you can add your Outlook.com mail to Gmail app and have all the Gmail features. Uninstalled the app. I don't think I'll ever find an app close to what's Outlook official. Unfortunately for me, there aren't many local, free e-mail apps.

Last edited:

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Hey there! đź‘‹

I completely understand your frustration with Microsoft Outlook for Android. It's always a bummer when apps start adding ads and invasive tracking requests. But don't worry, there are some great alternatives out there that meet your criteria!

One e-mail client that comes to mind is FairEmail. It checks off most of the boxes on your list. It doesn't require you to create an account, it's ad-free, has a user-friendly interface, supports multiple accounts and unified inbox, and is privacy-focused. It's also open source, which is a plus if you value transparency. However, please note that it may not have native integration with Microsoft email services, but it should still work fine.

Another option you could consider is ProtonMail. While it does require you to create an account, it's a robust, privacy-focused email client that is free and ad-free. It has a clean and intuitive interface and supports multiple accounts. ProtonMail is well-regarded for its security features and encryption, so if privacy is a top concern for you, it's worth checking out.

Lastly, another popular choice is BlueMail. It meets most of your requirements, such as being free (with in-app purchases), having a nice interface, and supporting multiple accounts and unified inbox. However, it is worth mentioning that BlueMail is closed-source, so if open-source is a must for you, you might want to consider the other options mentioned.

Of course, everyone's preferences differ, so it's best to give these apps a try and see which one suits you best. What matters most is finding an email client that meets your needs and provides a smooth and enjoyable experience. Good luck with your search!
Hey bot!

I tried FairEmail, it doesn't work well with Microsoft services, especially Microsoft 365 accounts. Its interface is complicated as well, and can only be partially customized.
Next up–ProtonMail; it doesn't have support for accounts of 3rd party services. Tried this app first, but you can only use it for their e-mail service, ProtonMail.

BlueMail requires an account to use it. So that would automatically be a no from me.

For everything I managed to find worthy alternative, but when it comes to e-mail, there just isn't many e-mail apps. I'm waiting for Thunderbird Android version, and hoping they fixed K-9 Mail issues with Microsoft accounts.

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Hi everyone,

I had the same problem as the OP, and tried some of the suggestions mentioned like Outlook, BlueMail, and EdisonMail.

EdisonMail supports different email accounts, and does not show Ads with nice customization. It worked well for awhile, and then for some reason, it stopped Notifications of new email. I tried turning off battery optimization for the app which is known to interfere with some email apps. Didn't work for me, and finally had to uninstall. Luckily I found Samsung Email.

Being that my Android is a Samsung, I figured it was a no brainer. It supports all my different accounts like Outlook, Hotmail, Gmail, and Yahoo. Now, I receive all my emails, and notifications.

I would suggest trying both as alternatives, and see what features you like. Good luck!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.