Advice Request Looking for Security Apps for Android

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
I am looking to beef up my security on android. I am looking for the best detection ratios, behavior blocking, best firewall (preferably working without vpn connection), etc. What do you recommend?

Reactions: upnorth

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If your android device isn't rooted, all you really need is an antivirus (a lot of people debate if you actually need this at all but I say better safe than sorry) and an adblocker. Keep unknown sources unchecked, try and only install apps from the play store and use a VPN on unsecured connections. A password manager would also be a good idea if you've got a lot of accounts but I don't personally use one on my phone.

I personally use Avira Antivirus, Adguard (Adguard requires you to sideload the app) and NordVPN. (Links to Avira and NordVPN are to the UK store. Search for them in your own store if you live outside the UK. The Adguard link goes directly to their site.)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Best detection ratio? Behaviour Blocker? No root firewall?

Disable Unknown Sources and stick to Apps from the Google Play Store.
Enable Encryption for Storage and SD card.
Metadefender for Android provides a status of your device.
Bitdefender Free or Malwarebytes for Android is OK with real-time protection.
Opera Max could (sort of) be used to restrict data traffic for 4G/WiFi.
Opera Unlimited VPN is free with no logs (check to confirm).

It's been said a thousand times, but apparently, falls on deaf ears. There is no best anything. :rolleyes:
  1. Learn to use Android
  2. Evaluate your usage habits
  3. Think before doing (preferably with your brain)

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
It's been said a thousand times, but apparently, falls on deaf ears. There is no best anything. :rolleyes:
  1. Learn to use Android

Rightly said.

I use 360 Lite btw.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Rightly said.

I use 360 Lite btw.
I tried Malwarebytes, but didn't like how it wanted to scan after every update on default settings. I no longer use Bitdefender Free either.

It'll get asked again in a weeks time. o_O

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Best detection ratio? Behaviour Blocker? No root firewall?

Disable Unknown Sources and stick to Apps from the Google Play Store.
Enable Encryption for Storage and SD card.
Metadefender for Android provides a status of your device.
Bitdefender Free or Malwarebytes for Android is OK with real-time protection.
Opera Max could (sort of) be used to restrict data traffic for 4G/WiFi.
Opera Unlimited VPN is free with no logs (check to confirm).

1. Learn to use Android
I know all of this, and more. I was thinking of something more advanced than simple tips.
When you say there is no best anything, I have to disagree. Back in 2015 when I was a android security freak, ESET did in fact have the best detection ratio. I am asking if anyone took first place in 2017, and if there is behavior blocking. There is a no root firewall, thats the name of the firewall. I was asking if there is one that is no root, and does not require to use a VPN connection.

Reactions: RXZ6Q

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I know all of this, and more. I was thinking of something more advanced than simple tips.
There was zero mention of what you had or not done already, and these simple tips makes a huge difference.
I am looking to beef up my security on android [...] What do you recommend?
Why don't you use ESET, if you know so much?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
When you say there is no best anything, I have to disagree. Back in 2015 when I was a android security freak, ESET did in fact have the best detection ratio. I am asking if anyone took first place in 2017, and if there is behavior blocking. There is a no root firewall, thats the name of the firewall. I was asking if there is one that is no root, and does not require to use a VPN connection.
If you're referring to tests such as those from AV-Test and AV-Comparatives, I wouldn't rely on those too heavily if I were you. They're only reflective of the exact samples used and nothing more.

Reactions: upnorth

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I used ESET for 2 years (it was a giveaway) and I liked it a lot. However, I don't buy any security software and that's why I no longer use it.

I only use AdAway (installed/updated with F-Droid).

I use SuperSU (root) and control access to root functions.

I use Titanium Backup.

I use Xprivacy to really control permissions.

I use Appbugs to check for vulnerabilities and uninstall anything dangerous (I'm surprised how long bank apps have left their stuff vulnerable).

I just remembered I have Zemana and uninstalled it a while ago (beta) because of notification spam. I just reinstalled it and doing a full scan now. I'll see how I like it.

I only use widely-accepted applications (either a LOT of users on the Play store or on Amazon or any within the established XDA community), so AV is pretty much moot.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
If you're referring to tests such as those from AV-Test and AV-Comparatives, I wouldn't rely on those too heavily if I were you. They're only reflective of the exact samples used and nothing more.
I've tested it myself aswell... not as accurate though.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
There was zero mention of what you had or not done already, and these simple tips makes a huge difference.

Why don't you use ESET, if you know so much?
True, these tips do make a big difference.

Like I mentioned, I tested android AV's back in 2015. The #1 AV may have changed over 2 or so years. For example, McAfee used to be crap (imo), but now it's pretty decent.

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Can anyone recommend a Smartphone AV that is free, has no ads, that will not drain my smartphone battery, and constantly download signatures?

Reactions: RXZ6Q
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.