Troubleshoot Loud scratching noise from disk, then disk fails to read

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
I had a 6.4GB Samsung hard disk that I wanted to backup, as it contained some information I needed.
Model name: SV0644A
I was using USB-PATA interface.
When the disk was making my computer stuck, I switched it off, then turned it back on, just to hear that loud screeching noise of death.
I turned it off, then turned it back on, and the noise was gone...for a second.
Then the disk failed to recognize, then the scratching noise, then disk powered itself off.
I am quite sure that there's something wrong with the head inside the disk, but it is strange.
When the scratching noise can be heard, the disk would be recognized, then it would power off. When it's not, it would just refuse to work.
Since I couldn't find user manual for this hard disk, I need your help.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
That does not sound good at all. Have you run windows check disk? If it is your disk it will let you know. Other than that you might have some viruses on there.

Upvote 0

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
If you do get it running again I would run a full Disk Check scan. Warning: This might take over an hour or more. The full Disk Check cannot be interrupted until its done.:(

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

lol , you didn't know that before doing sport again you have to stretch your muscles :p

you made grandpa HDD run a sprint, no wonder it had a heart-stroke :D

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.