Loup113 PC Security Configuration (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

loup113

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 21, 2017
Hey,
I wanna build for my gaming rig something light,with efficiency in mind. I have to say that voodoshield windows are starting to be annoying...
dont really like kaspersky, but hey paid a cheap price for it because of a price error....
Any suggestions and comment will be good and appreciated :)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Avast Free has a gaming mode. That might interest you. Think it actually ups the priority of detected games for better performance, although I haven't tried it yet myself. You can also choose the custom installation with Avast and eliminate the cleaner module and other things you won't use. Handy option. Maybe you could combine that with Windows Firewall Control for a light configuration.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Hey, about KTS on a gaming system, you can enable the below 2 highlighted settings to make things smoother.
Screenshot_KIS.png
May I know why you dislike Kaspersky? A nice news if you're still interested, is that KTS 2018 will be out sometime soon and it is much lighter on system.

Besides, I recommend enabling "Smartscreen" as shown here to prevent the execution of unasked for or unknown files on your system:
Screenshot (1334).png
Find it in Windows Defender Security Centre >> App & Browser control.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Yeah Smartscreen is recommended to be enabled. It doesn't effect computer performance and is a good security feature built into Windows 10! :)

loup113

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 21, 2017
thanks for the replies.
I cannot find smartscreen options anywhere in control panel, like im the same page as you( security and maintenance) but no option for smart screen .... any ideas?

Reactions: AtlBo

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
thanks for the replies.
I cannot find smartscreen options anywhere in control panel, like im the same page as you( security and maintenance) but no option for smart screen .... any ideas?
I and a few others over looked, you are not on the latest build of Windows 10, you are on 15063.296 and should be on 15063.413.

Reactions: frogboy and AtlBo

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017

loup113

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 21, 2017
Still error, i will try to restore from iso. Since update and update helper and other stuff didnt helped.
what do you recommand as on-demand scanner, free or not too expensive ?

Reactions: AtlBo

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Still error, i will try to restore from iso. Since update and update helper and other stuff didnt helped.
what do you recommand as on-demand scanner, free or not too expensive ?
Before you try to restore it, I would open Command Prompt with Admin, and run a sfc /scannow.

Also make sure it is not the security causing the issue.

As for on demand, I use zemana, and emsisoft emergency kit. Zemana has a free version.

a1nn

Level 2
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
Hi, what I recommend doing is:
  • Remove VoodooShield (KIS's Application Control takes care of that already if you've configured it correctly)
  • Add some second-opinion scanners. (Norton Power Eraser, Malwarebytes Free, Emsisoft Emergency Kit)
  • Configure Kaspersky's settings (if you haven't already) to this. If you would like more performance, read this article.
  • Install Kaspersky Protection on your browser.
Also some nit-picky stuff
  • Please include your browser in the form
  • If you have turned on SmartScreen, please change the form to reflect this.
If you don't know how to change the form, refer to this article.

Thank you for sharing your configuration! (◕‿◕)

loup113

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 21, 2017
Erased hdd+ssd+nvme with parted magic, fresh copy now of now updated windows 10.
Following suggestions, kaspersky protection extension, malwarebytes premium and norton power erase were added!
I configured using tutorial from this forum my KTS
I only use chrome as a browser !
last question: Reasonable to use zemana along with malwarebytes? arent like almost the same, since same goal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.