Loveletter Worm (2000)

danooct1

Thread author
Apr 21, 2011
I made this writeup for another site, mainly just for fun, but I figured I'd go ahead and post it here as my first post.

On May 4th, 2000, a new and devastating worm surfaced and began terrorizing the world wide web - the Loveletter worm, also known as the ILOVEYOU worm. While not a new concept in and of itself, the worm's use of social engineering tricked people into allowing it to spread all over the world in a matter of hours.

The file would arrive in an email, in the first variant this file was named LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs. However, there has been a major security "flaw" that has been neglected by Microsoft and always enabled by default.

hidezj.png

With the extensions for known file types hidden, the dangerous double extension of .txt.vbs became a seemingly innocent and simple .txt. Many people believed this could be trusted.

innocentv.png

However, upon disabling the file extension hiding feature, the danger soon becomes apparent. This is not something that you'd expect a friend to send you through email.

revealed.png

The Loveletter worm was best at spreading rapidly, but also carried dangerous payloads as well. It would find and destroy and and all .jpg, .jpeg, .hta, .js, and many other file types on all local and network drives. It accomplished this by overwriting the file with its own code, then deleting the original, as seen below.

sourcedt.png

These few lines of code, along with other similar lines, would easily corrupt many of your favorite files, and rather quickly too, as the files were lost mere seconds after execution. Desktops could go from this:

okayq.png

To this, in a matter of seconds:

overwrite.png

After damaging as many files as it could, Loveletter began to spread itself. To do this, it enumerated all of the Outlook contacts it could find. As long as the person had more than one contact in their list, Loveletter would begin its spreading routine.

email1.png

Every contact on the victim's Outlook contact list would be sent a copy of the worm, all with the same subject, message body, and attachment.

email2.png

Many users upon receiving this would simply open the file straight from the email, ignoring the dangers of the double extension (not widely known at that time), further spreading the worm and causing more and more damage globally.

At the time the worm was launched, it also changed the Microsoft Internet Explorer homepage with several registry keys, causing the worm to download and execute a keylogger hosted on a website. After this, the worm would set the homepage to about:blank, frustrating many users attempting to go to their homepage. The keylogger was taken down very quickly after the worm was released, leading to less damage than potentially could have been caused.

In addition to spreading through email, Loveletter also used several other methods that were not widely used by worms at the time. It exploited mIRC by sending users a link to its own file. It also displayed infected ActiveX pages that, when run, would transfer and execute the worm. Doing all of this allowed the worm to achieve a league of its own in terms of widespread distribution and total destructive damage.

The Loveletter worm and its many variants ended up causing over 5.5 billion dollars worth of damage in cleanup and lost productivity. Antivirus vendors were kept round the clock to produce definitions to catch this worm, and it set the precedent for many different worms to come. Since the source code was so easily viewable, many variants were made, each more destructive than the last. It was very easy to find the file overwriting payload and change .jpg or another extension to .exe, rendering an infected computer unusable until the Operating System is restored.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
nice post.
I remember this one, really nasty stuff. It was on every front-page at the time.
Still sets the bar for how bad it can get.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nice, I still remember this one....go really bad

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Ah yes who could forget this classic of a horror. bad stuff...

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Good post and welcome to Malware Tips, danooct1.
Don't you just love old malware?
They were much more interesting than today's malware.
This one was deadly, though.
This one seems to have much better grammar than malware made nowadays aside from the missing capital letter. ☺

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well Loveletter/ILOVEYOU was became prevalent in the Philippines due to that worm invasion before.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Great post. I'm also interesting in this old stuff.

Another one I remember was the CIH virus, which had the ability the corrupt the BIOS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.