Troubleshoot Low profile SSD usb drives

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Do any exist ?

The reason being is my case has usb ports on top and my keyboard tray clearance is only like 2 or 3 inches max.

The normal usb thumb drives I hit when my keyboard tray comes out.

Reactions: Vasudev

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
What you mean by "SSD" USB drives? While "flash" or "thumb" drives use similar memory technologies as SSDs, they are not the same thing. SSDs are used for mass and permanent storage. Thumb drives are typically used for smaller storage needs and should only be used for temporary storage.

If you really meant a thumb drive but are concerned about space, you can always use a USB extension cable between your USB port and the thumb drive. I have seen them as short as 6 inches up to many feet.

Reactions: plat1098
Upvote 0

n0k0m3

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2017
But... why USB? you won't get any performance from the SSD at all (yes it is possible to have SSD USB, contrary to @Digerati 's believes but it is more like a DIY kit)

If you are using a desktop and still having a PCIe Slot left, buy a PCIe card for M.2 ssds and enjoy.

If you are talking about USB for normal usage then Sandisk Ultra Fit will serve you best (yep supports USB 3.0 so you can enjoy the extra performance)

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
(yes it is possible to have SSD USB, contrary to @Digerati 's believes
Contrary to what I said? Please show us where I said it is not possible.

FTR, I never said that. You can indeed install a SSD into an external USB drive enclosure.

I did, however, ask the OP to clarify what he was looking for.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.