Guide | How To Mac Safety

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I've noticed that many more members of this forum have relatives or friends that use macs. This forum is not too based on macs, however I wanted to state some points about how mac downloads work, and how to avoid malware on the macs.

Part I: Macs Don't Get Malware! Or Do They?

You've heard of it everywhere. Macs don't get malware. Well, that myth is busted because there are many trojans out in the wild. For example, MacDefender. And while there are no ransomware for mac, it probably will be coming very soon. In fact, a programmer had already exploited os x an made ransomware for macs.

Part II: How do you download things in macs?

A common misconception of OS X downloading files is that they are simply like windows executables. However, most downloads today are .dmg files, or disk image. It basically acts like a virtual disk. You mount the virtual disk onto your computer and usually open up the application package inside. The application will then automatically copy itself to the applications in finder (after you instruct it to) and voila! you have new software!

Some programs, though, like antiviruses work differently. Sometimes they supply the packaged application directly without jumping through the disk image hoop, and others use zip files that contain the package inside. Then, they run an installer, like Windows Applications do, and you will need to enter your credentials for the installation to proceed.

Part III: Should I Use An Antivirus?

Macs are, after all, not exactly as secure as you think. So, I would recommend downloading a free antivirus like Sophos (Free At Sophos). Check this link out: Mac Antivirus Tool | Free Mac Malware Removal Tool Download | Sophos. Alternatively you could try out their new beta free product, Sophos Home (Free At Sophos) which offers a more comprehensive and free solution: Sophos Home.

I would, most importantly, install a URL Advisor and Browsing Protection solution. An extension like WOT would work well too. Remember that regardless of OS, phishing attacks affect you because they are solely browser-oriented, so be wary of phishing attacks. WOT should offer protection for those and Bitdefender Traffic Light (Free at Bitdefender) is another good choice.

You don't have to install anything paid, although if you have vacant spots in your ESET Multi-Device Security license, ESET Cyber Security ($39.99 at ESET) and ESET Cyber Security Pro ($59.99 at ESET) are also nice choices. Similarly, if you have vacant PC spots in your Kaspersky or Norton subscription, Kaspersky Internet Security For Mac ($39.99 at Kaspersky), Norton Security Deluxe ($49.99 at Norton) and Norton Security Premium ($69.99 at Norton) will protect you very well too.

Part IIII: Other Security Software

No other security software is needed at all! Of course, you can always install extra but that's optional!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.