Battle Macbook Pro: SSD or more RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alkajak

Thread author
I've got a MBP 15" Early 2011 with an i7, 4GB RAM, 750 GB 7200RPM HDD. It was slow to the point where clicking anything at all causes rainbow wheel for a few seconds. I did a reset on it recently, and it is improved, but I want to make it usable for school (mostly working with IDEs). Should I have the budget for one upgrade only, do I bump up the RAM to 8 GB or replace the HDD with a SSD to improve performance and prevent rainbow wheeling?

MiguelPratas819

Level 2
Verified
Jul 8, 2015
I believe a SSD will be the more noticeable boost but at this point only 4GB of ram? I don´t know what you use your mac for but anyways if you can only afford one of the upgrades I´d go to the SSD upgrade as well.
Sorry bad english

A

Alkajak

Thread author
8GB RAM is the max it supports. About $120, so it's between the two. Leaning towards SSD based on the comments.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
A

Alkajak

Thread author
$110 for the Samsung 850 EVO 256GB. If I jump the gun and invest in 8GB of RAM too, will it be worth my while? How much of an improvement in performance will I see in the RAM upgrade after upgrading to an SSD?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
$110 for the Samsung 850 EVO 256GB. If I jump the gun and invest in 8GB of RAM too, will it be worth my while? How much of an improvement in performance will I see in the RAM upgrade after upgrading to an SSD?
Ram upgrade depends on the programs you use. Assuming you don't max what you have now or come close to maxing benefit will be minimal.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
How much of an improvement in performance will I see in the RAM upgrade after upgrading to an SSD?
Minimal, like @SHvFl said, but it will improve performance if you use a lot of programs simultaneously, additional 4GB stick doesn't cost much

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm already late here but for my view better go to SSD.

Upgrading your RAM will increase more on the workloads however minimal impact.

So having SSD is already a good start since all of improvements will definitely apply.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
But 840 EVO has serious slower reads for older data. Did the HDD fail on you after 5 years?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
But 840 EVO has serious slower reads for older data. Did the HDD fail on you after 5 years?
The fixed that with a firmware update a while ago.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It causes write amplification in the long run since the fix tries to re-write data to new sectors to avoid slow reads.
I see. I am not familiar with that but it should still be fast then. It will just die sooner which in a home ssd than means years. By then we will probably have sata 4 and ssd will be all m.2;)

Niente

Level 2
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
Samsung has Pro Series (example: Samsung 850 Pro) with 10-year limited warranty.

SSD beneficts are: less heat, noise and temps and more autonomy. Like other companions said an SSD will be the best option.

Regards.

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
I upgraded a few of those models a while ago with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD, both from Corsair, made a huge difference, almost as quick as my new MacBook Pro.
Cost was around 150$ for the complete upgrade here in Denmark, so depending where you live you might get it a lot cheaper.
So I would say do both, since more memory also reduced swapping to disk.
I wouldn't go for the fastest SSD, since the controller on the 2011 model can't keep up with it anyway.
If your going to work with a lot of large files you might want more than 128GB though.
We use them for video editing movies recorded on ipads and lighter work tasks., 128GB SSD and 8GB RAM is enough for that.

Last edited:

koko

Level 5
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 28, 2013
Did you upgrade your device ? Otherwise, my vote goes to SSD :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.