Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
macOS Big Sur 11.5.2 includes bug fixes for your Mac.

Name and information linkAvailable forRelease date
macOS Big Sur 11.5.2
This update has no published CVE entries.
macOS Big Sur11 Aug 2021

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I'm a newbie on the macOS universe and I'm very surprised to saw that it takes 20 minutes when I restarted my MacBook Air M1 as needed for installing macOS Big Sur 11.5.2 ; it is possible that it was the same with the previous updates but it was during the night.
Is it usual with macOS updates ?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
it takes 20 minutes when I restarted my MacBook Air M1 as needed for installing macOS Big Sur 11.5.2 ; it is possible that it was the same with the previous updates but it was during the night. Is it usual with macOS updates ?
🤷‍♂️

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I'm a little curious, so if you don't mind can you please tell me why your disappointed?
Thanks @upnorth for the question;)
I'm disappointed because I never had to wait so long time when I reboot a Windows PC after a simple OS update.
Maybe it is because I'm a newcomer on the macOS universe?
PS: I think that the curiosity is an essential quality on a technical forum(y)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I got my first MacBook just a few months ago, but mine is a old Air from 2012.

With reboots after a OS update, I'm not sure I noticed any major issues, but I can't really compare it since that machine have the Catalina version. Maybe @Nevi noticed something similar like you?

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I got my first MacBook just a few months ago. But mine is a old Air from 2012.

With reboots after a OS update, I'm not sure I noticed any major issues but I can't really compare it since that machine have the Catalina version. Maybe @Nevi noticed something similar like you?
Hi upnorth.
I started to update my Macbook a while ago, and it's first now it's finish. It takes longer than a Windows. But damn I'm happy for that little machine.
Have a great weekend. :)

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I got my first MacBook just a few months ago, but mine is a old Air from 2012.

With reboots after a OS update, I'm not sure I noticed any major issues, but I can't really compare it since that machine have the Catalina version. Maybe @Nevi noticed something similar like you?
Hi @upnorth
Of course I'm not speaking about issues, but indeed "disappointed" is too excessive and the word "surprised" I used in my first post is more accurate.
Hi upnorth.
I started to update my Macbook a while ago, and it's first now it's finish. It takes longer than a Windows. But damn I'm happy for that little machine.
Have a great weekend. :)
Hi @Nevi
I agree with you this MacBook Air M1 is really amazing !

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Both Windows and Mac has it's pro and cons as I learnt very brutally extra much with the Mac, but the age of my machine is of course important.

A bit offtopic, what backup software do you guys use? I found out the hard way with several very long and tedious complete re-installations of the OS when I wanted to try verify the backup, that Timemachine, at least on my system, does not work as a backup and restoration for the complete system. How hard it actually was to find correct information on that specific, was not what I expected and that made me very surprised. Don't get me wrong. Timemachine works great as a normal basic file backup, but as a complete/full system restore that normally on Windows systems works flawless and fast with solutions like Macrium or Acronis, I still haven't been able to find. Not yet anyway.

2 free software that so far has come close in my personal tests, is SuperDuper and Paragorn backup and recovery. I'm just stuck at the moment with a non working restore media ( USB ) for Paragorn that refuse to work no matter what. No pain, no gain! 🥵

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
It is not yet my main machine, I use my MacBook Air for leisure (surfing and shopping), so I have'nt though yet about the backup of my system and my files.
However I believed that my files were automatically saved and protected with iCloud:unsure:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.