Advice Request Making sure that USB stick is safe

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Hello. I just received a brand new USB drive from AliExpress. I highly doubt that they packed some zeroday rootkit with it :D I already scanned it with 4 (or more) antiviruses. Including my primary AV - and that is Kaspersky Internet Security 2020 with almost maxed out settings (Application Control is on). Every scan came out completely clean. I also performed a complete format (not the quick one). My question is, what more can I do to ensure that using the USB stick is safe?

• Wow
Reactions: shmu26 and Tutman

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
  • Always purchase goods from a trusted seller.
  • Read the reviews.
  • Check the original packaging has not been tampered, or re-packaged.

Then again..

My question is, what more can I do to ensure that using the USB stick is safe?
Don't be paranoid.

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Purchase brand new stick. Best to get from a local stores like BestBuy and such. Never buy unknown brand. Never buy used.
Well, some sellers just resell stuff they literally just ordered from China via AliExpress or similar service and they present it as brand new and totally reputable stuff. It's pretty common where I live. BTW I really love your name :D

Reactions: SumTingWong

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
  • Always purchase goods from a trusted seller.
  • Read the reviews.
  • Check the original packaging has not been tampered, or re-packaged.

Then again..

Don't be paranoid.
Your last quote just says it all. I should include this in my original post. It's just me being paranoid.

In the article, they say that: "Storewize initialisation tool is launched from the drive."

So formating and scanning the stick should be enough. But I'm not just paranoid. I'm also curious if there is some other chance to get infected just by plugging it into a computer and if it can be prevented.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I just received a few flash drives from Aliexpress, too. Reformatting is a good idea for the paranoid, but there is still a small, invisible partition that will remain. I am not worried about it personally. But the Pentagon shouldn't order flash drives from Aliexpress. LOL

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
The most common infections on USB flash drives are either LNK worms or actual viruses (in the sense of file infectors) attached to files on the drive. Both of those infection types are removed via reformatting the drive which you already did. I think your USB flash drive has right now a higher risk to become infected by another computer than to infect any of your systems. :)

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
I just received a few flash drives from Aliexpress, too. Reformatting is a good idea for the paranoid, but there is still a small, invisible partition that will remain. I am not worried about it personally. But the Pentagon shouldn't order flash drives from Aliexpress. LOL
Best reply, actually. Actually made me laugh, thanks :p!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.