New Update malicious Chrome extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudidu0192

Thread author
Aug 19, 2018
Hi there, i'm looking for samples of advertising injecting extensions for research purposes.
I'd be more than thankful if someone could point me to the right direction.

Reactions: Al-Faqir

Aypex

Level 1
Aug 19, 2018
Hello. You search malicious extensions?
I know Search Manager.

An extension that masquerades as an aid, which in reality is money behind your back by swaying advertisements everywhere.

Libera Milanesi

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2018
Please see the post I left on the other thread you made on this topic: Discuss - Looking for malicious chrome extensions (ad injecting) analysis

I recommend you investigate browser extensions being marketed as providing security (malware protection, anti-tracking, etc.) and go through specific categories looking at lesser-known extensions. Sometimes, there may be a malicious extension with thousands and thousands of users (we've seen it several times in the lab during 2017 and 2018).

You may be drawn into some extensions which require unusual permissions as well depending on what the extension is being marketed as. For example, a browser extension for shortening links manually entered in is not going to need access to control the web-page content or arbitrary sensitive information (e.g. history and bookmarks). You could be drawn in because of an unusual author name, product name, or fishy fake-looking reviews. It's the little things that tend to stand out the most but only to a trained eye, novices will still fall for pathetic tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.