Malware Analysts - Safety Note - Please Read

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Sandboxes are unsafe. VMs are better.

With proper restrictions and used correctly, sandboxes can be a perfectly safe and convenient method for malware testing. They are also great for mitigating drive by downloads.

However sandboxes have weaknesses that users need to be aware of (which many sadly aren't). Here are some commonly forgotten ones off the top of my head:

* Sandboxes redirect WRITE but usually not READ.
- Unless you specifically disallow a file/folder in the sandbox, any process running sandboxed has READ access to this file. Therefore if you also do not switch internet access off, or set up a DNS redirect (to redirect outward network traffic to your own computer), the malware can easily grab your browser profiles (history, cache, passwords etc) and send this to a remote server. Multiple users on this forum have been caught out by this during testing, please don't let it happen to you.

* Sandboxes restrict only USERLAND.
- If you do not disallow access to kernelland (ring 0), malware running in the sandbox may load a driver or begin a process in kernel mode. Indeed allowing any access to the kernel space in a sandbox means that sandboxed process has access to your entire computer, bypassing any asynchronous redirection the sandbox implements.

* Inherent weaknesses in sandboxes
- Please be advised that some sandboxes are just applications. They do not emulate hardware and as such are still vulnerable to attacks such as DOS and in some case escalation attacks which could allow the computer to become compromised.

Sandboxes were not designed to be bomb proof tanks, run malware carelessly in a sandbox with no regard or interest in it's configuration or it's architecture and internal method of working and you are asking for trouble. Exercise vigilance and caution and you will effectively mitigate most of these attacks and avoid the mistakes of many infected users before you ;)

Reactions: Malware1

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
the safest / best to avoid many mistakes/infections would be in my opinion to "ask" members to read the "How to" guides proposed in my earlier post and then to "ask" them " to pass a test on security before being able to access the malware hub.....a lot of work, difficult to implement /choose what to ask, evaluate answers etc....and as said before, who wants to test will test anyway....so still not sure if limiting the access would really help....;)

Reactions: Cowpipe

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
the safest / best to avoid many mistakes/infections would be in my opinion to "ask" members to read the "How to" guides proposed in my earlier post and then to "ask" them " to pass a test on security before being able to access the malware hub.....a lot of work, difficult to implement /choose what to ask, evaluate answers etc....and as said before, who wants to test will test anyway....so still not sure if limiting the access would really help....;)
Malware Analysts should've the knowledge in my opinion.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.