Malware - Cursor Frozen (even in Safe Mode)

momof5

Thread author
Sep 27, 2012
As stated above, I'm a novice. The laptop in question is an older Gateway running Vista that my daughter uses for homeschool. The malware (rootkit??) would not go away with malwarebytes, and since detecting and "Fixing" it with AVG, the cursor is locked and I do not know where to go from here. Thank you so much for your assistance, and again, I apologize if I am not describing this well.

(I was unable to run the OTL or aswMBR, as I cannot get into her laptop.)

momof5

Thread author
Sep 27, 2012
I should have been clearer on this. I can get into safe mode by f8, but once I get into safe mode the cursor is still frozen.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello momof5 and sorry for the delayed answer!
Did you try another mouse?
Can you use the touch pad to control the mouse cursor?

momof5

Thread author
Sep 27, 2012
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the response. No, the touch pad will not control the cursor, nor with the wireless mouse or USB mouse. I've also tried removing the battery, etc. But ever since the AVG was run, it locks up.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
1.What model of laptop is ? DELL,HP etc..

2.Can you please check the Device Manager to see what Windows is saying:
  • Click on the Windows Vista Start button.
  • Type the following command in the search box, and then hit the Enter key.
    Code:
    devmgmt.msc
  • Device Manager will display immediately.I need to check and see if any items have a yellow exclamation/question mark next to them.

3.Can you please open the AVG program and in the History menu, open Virus Vault and tell me what AVG has removed?

4.Can you run a program if I give you the instructions?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.