Solved Malware infection: COM surrogate, dllhost, Trojan Poweliks versions, Adclick(?) on multiple computer

CESbio

Thread author
Nov 5, 2014
Files attached.

Attachments

• FRST_05-11-2014_10-31-17.txt
    31.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Addition_05-11-2014_10-31-14.txt
    26.8 KB · Views: 91

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
FRST.gif
Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
icon_exclaim.gif
Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please attach it to your reply.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    724 bytes · Views: 116

CESbio

Thread author
Nov 5, 2014
First off, thank you for your help, this has been an incredible pain! Hoping I've done this right. Please find attached the Fixlog.txt. Thank you and looking forward to your response.

Attachments

• Fixlog_05-11-2014_14-12-31.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 68

CESbio

Thread author
Nov 5, 2014
No random attacks in the last few minutes. Malwarebytes hasn't brought anything up in the last 5-10 minutes. Watching under Windows Task Manager, normally see a dllhost32 popping up with COM Surrogate. While the 32 part is gone, COM Surrogate continues to pop up.

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
Download ESET Poweliks Cleaner
http://download.eset.com/special/ESETPoweliksCleaner.exe

When the download is complete, navigate to your Desktop, double-click ESETPoweliksCleaner.exe.
Read the terms of the End-user license agreement and click Agree if you agree to them.

The tool will run automatically. If the cleaner finds a Poweliks infection, press the Y key on your keyboard to remove it.

If Poweliks was detected "Win32/Poweliks was successfully removed from your system" will be displayed.
Press any key to exit the tool.

After removing an infection we highly recommend that you restart your computer. The infection should now be removed and you should be able to access the web content that was being blocked.

CESbio

Thread author
Nov 5, 2014
Hi Argus,
ESET Poweliks cleaner noted Poweliks was not found. Sounds like the system might be clear then?

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
System is clean.

Download DelFix by Xplode and save it to your desktop.
  • Run the tool by right click on the
    51a5ce45263de-delfix.png
    icon and Run as administrator option.
  • Make sure that these ones are checked:
    • Remove disinfection tools
    • Purge system restore
    • Reset system settings
  • Push Run and wait until the tool completes his work.
  • All tools we used should be gone. Tool will create an report for you (C:\DelFix.txt)
The tool will also record healthy state of registry and make a backup using ERUNT program in %windir%\ERUNT\DelFix
Tool deletes old system restore points and create a fresh system restore point after cleaning.

CESbio

Thread author
Nov 5, 2014
1st computer looks like a wrap. Thank you so much! For the second computer that's actually a bit worse off, do I need to start a new thread?

CESbio

Thread author
Nov 5, 2014
I'm sorry I don't understand the last part. Do I need to start a new thread for the second computer?

CESbio

Thread author
Nov 5, 2014
Ok, sounds good. The information on the second computer is listed under 2nd computer above. Should I start with the same process (FRST and addition)? The second system has an OS: Win8. Also, I'm worried that the peripheral Toshiba external drive may be moving an infection from one computer to the next. Any way to stop that so that I don't keep reinfecting computers?

CESbio

Thread author
Nov 5, 2014
Hi, please find the files requested attached below. I think I'll owe you a brewery after this!

Attachments

• Addition_05-11-2014_10-31-14.txt
    26.8 KB · Views: 53
  • FRST_05-11-2014_10-31-17.txt
    31.4 KB · Views: 51

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
I'm worried that the peripheral Toshiba external drive may be moving an infection from one computer to the next

I recommended to use MCShield if you will.
You may download MCShield from one of the following links:

] MyCity - Official download link
Softpedija - Mirror download link

It will prevent infection by computer via USB flash drive, mobile phone or any other memory card.
And not only will prevent infection, but it will immediately clean flash drive, memory card or external HDD.

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
FRST.gif
Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
icon_exclaim.gif
Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please attach it to your reply.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    891 bytes · Views: 75

CESbio

Thread author
Nov 5, 2014
Just wanted to give an update. Cluelessly generated the same txt files from prior run as a 'save and run' and attached them (1st computer). Went back, deleted those files, then started where I was supposed to by downloading the FRST file, running, saving to same location on the second computer. Now going through the FRST Admin Fix scan. Seems to be taking a while (I don't know what a normal run time is like). Is there a point at which long becomes too long and I should stop and restart?
I apologize for the confusion on my end!

CESbio

Thread author
Nov 5, 2014
Fix done, system restarted. Please find attached the Fixlog as requested. Note that Malwarebytes continues to flash a series of outgoing.

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 63

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.