Malware Pack request

M

MalwareT

Thread author
Hi, i'm starting to test security products next week and i need good quality malware pack with at least 1500 -2600 samples. I know this is too much, and i hope someone will answer on my request. Thanks anyways :);).

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Too much? Don't be silly, you're more than welcome to ask and I'll see what I can do for you as we all will :)

What kind of samples are you looking for?

M

MalwareT

Thread author
Good samples with high risk. You can add any kind you want, but dont add ransomware because my test will be useless.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I have a large collection of adware and PUPs and a separate collection of trojans (mostly droppers, PSWs etc) I can also provide you with an array of variously packed malware so you can test the classification ability, eg: whether the anti-virus simply detects all packed files as malicious or whether it only detects malicious packed files. It's up to you really, if you post up a wish list I'll dig around through my disks and see what I can get you :)

Who knows, I might even include you some of my own viruses and malware, written back in my blackhat days haha :p

M

MalwareT

Thread author
Yes, you can add worms, adware,PUPs,trojans, and viruses.I dont know if you have rootkits, but you can add them. Extension can be any you want (except .vir).

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
@Malware Test Sorry for the delay, been busy with getting my server set up and with activities here at MalwareTips.

Going to sort through my samples pack today pull you as many good quality samples as I can, a variety of different sample types (I'll folder organise them for you to make it easier). :) Unfortunately I don't stock clean files, so if you need any of those you'll have to go searching, unless somebody else here has some ;)

Reactions: MalwareT
M

MalwareT

Thread author
@Malware Test Sorry for the delay, been busy with getting my server set up and with activities here at MalwareTips.

Going to sort through my samples pack today pull you as many good quality samples as I can, a variety of different sample types (I'll folder organise them for you to make it easier). :) Unfortunately I don't stock clean files, so if you need any of those you'll have to go searching, unless somebody else here has some ;)

Well, no rush. You can put all samples in one folder then you can archive them. For clean files i can find some here. Thank you for pack.

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
Cowpipe, you're making me want to go dig out all my old CD's with skulls and the like on them. LOL
Some of the files i have will no longer run because of how old they are.

What kind of server are you setting up (set up) ? PM me if you need to, since its off topic, however i am digging up my stuff to see what i can find. Call it nostalgia.
Where is the nostalgic thread section ?

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I have a few nasties from circa 2010 (conficker, detnat, brontok, sality, etc). My newer high risk malware is a Virut-Ramnit. combo.

ren *.vir *.exe
This is how I do it in my WinXP

Code:
REGEDIT4
; Register Change exe to vir
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Change exe to vir]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Change exe to vir\command]
@="cmd.exe /k ren *.exe *.vir && exit"

; Register Change vir  to exe
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Change vir to exe]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Change vir to exe\command]
@="cmd.exe /k ren *.vir *.exe && exit"

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowpipe and Arakasi

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
I found about 9000 viruses in my old pack of samples. Some are outdated, but some are applications and even ESET started to flag a few.
Will spend the rest of the day sorting through them, and see which are good and which are unnecessary.
May be fun going through them even if they are older samples. :)

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
Since ESET has been around since 92 most of these are being detected, very very interesting.
Would like to see how the newer security products compare and hold up against it. Because they will not have databases as large , especially if they started up even after Vista was released. If they don't have very good heuristics some of these old virus's could cause some damage on systems with newer anti-virus engines. :eek:

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/ad65/ceng672057eueeb6g.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/027c/7ul8juxw8jaarbc6g.jpg

Last edited:

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I have about 4000+ samples from a guy at Trend Micro. Knowing I have it is one thing, finding where it is in hundreds of my unlabeled CDs is another

Reactions: Arakasi and Cowpipe

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.