Solved Malware Scan Items

Status
Not open for further replies.

snjsanders

Thread author
Jun 24, 2018
This is probaby a dumb question.

I installed Malwarebytes in May at the recommendation of a genius. I used it to scan both of my computers, it found some items and quarantined then got rid of them. I don't have any obvious signs of adware, but my computer is running slow and it takes forever to go between applications. I did a scan and it comes back clean, but when I watched it I saw it scanning the following items and more with the adware:

adware.OperatorMac
adware.Crossrider
adware.Mindspark
adware.IronCore

Does this mean these files are on my computer, but the Malwarebytes isn't removing it or are those suppose to be there? The same files do not show up on my mac desktop.

Reactions: Amanita V

xSploit

Level 1
Jul 7, 2012
There are many reasons your computer could be running slow. First, you could start by telling us what are your System specifications.

snjsanders

Thread author
Jun 24, 2018
There are many reasons your computer could be running slow. First, you could start by telling us what are your System specifications.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
383.85 GB available of 498.74

Is that what you need? I mainly use it for mail, the internet and word & excel.

xSploit

Level 1
Jul 7, 2012
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
383.85 GB available of 498.74

Is that what you need? I mainly use it for mail, the internet and word & excel.
When was the last time you cleaned and/or optimized your system?
And when was the last time you did a fresh install of macOS High Sierra?

Last edited:

snjsanders

Thread author
Jun 24, 2018
I optimized (cleaned up my desktop, optimized storage, emptied trash) in May when I was irritated about the constant spinning beach ball. I'm not sure I have ever cleaned it other than using Malwarebytes.

Since doing that, things haven't changed much. Some examples: if I try and do a quick view of a file on my desktop, it takes a good bit to even open up, while working in Safari if I click over to Word/Excel it takes forever to go between programs, If I'm working and an iMessages comes across, everything stops for a few..

xSploit

Level 1
Jul 7, 2012
The best and most effective option is simply backing up all your data and reinstalling the OS.

Use the instructions here to download and install a fresh OS: How to do a clean install of macOS High Sierra

Make sure you back up all of the data on the computer, including browser data (i.e, Bookmarks, History). If you already have Safari sync set up, that's the easiest way to do that.

If you don't want to reinstall, you can give programs like "CleanMyMac" a try. Or you may use the instructions here to clean and optimize your OS for better performance: Slow Mac: Why is My Mac Running Slow? | 17 Ways to Fix Your Slow MacBook, iMac or Mac mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.