Malwarebytes 4.0.4

Product name
Malwarebytes 4.0.4 Free
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
The interface can be somewhat difficult for new users since they have a lot of settings, but they can be learnt in a few minutes.
Performance (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Protection is absolutely excellent. At least, that's my opinion. I've tested a lot of antiviruses (Kaspersky, Avast, Avira, and more...) but, at the end, I've outclassed them by Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes seems to detects less false positives and more real threats in general. I've used everywhere to clean infected computers and it worked like a charm.
Positives
    • Freeware
    • Many features
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Compatible with other anti-virus software
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
Negatives
    • Noticeable negative system impact
    • Resource intensive tasks
    • Limited web protection
    • Includes paid-for components (paywall)
    • Scans can be rather slow
    • Can slow down your browsing speed
Time spent using product
Computer specs
QEMU/KVM Virtual Machine (using virt-manager) on Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS.
VM specs :
Intel Core i7 9xx Nehalem, IBRS update
Integrated graphics
2 GB RAM DDR3
~40 GB SATA HDD
Windows 7 SP1 x64
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

AnErrupTion

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 29, 2020
My opinion of Malwarebytes 4.0.4 Free.
Also, I have Malwarebytes for way more than 1 year, it's just that I've reinstalled my PC often, and since I'm on Ubuntu now, I use it on a VM. But I had it since version 2.0, and I clearly don't regret it.

B

BVLon

You've ticked lot's of features??? In MBAM free...? Highly Configurable? Accurate and reliable Antivirus engine? Really?
Then you've said limited web-protection. MBAM's Browser Guard is actually a monster in web-protection. It is probably the best tool I have ever seen. It also doesn't slow down the browsing speed. I personally do not find this review accurate.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
MBAM's Browser Guard is actually a monster in web-protection. It is probably the best tool I have ever seen. It also doesn't slow down the browsing speed. I personally do not find this review accurate.

There is a thread in our forum comparing web-protection extensions. Last time i saw their posts, MBE did a good job, but BTL was lighter and more efficiente. EMSISOFT browser security did an excellent job too (and keep the best level of privacy protection)

B

BVLon

There is a thread in our forum comparing web-protection extensions. Last time i saw their posts, MBE did a good job, but BTL was lighter and more efficiente. EMSISOFT browser security did an excellent job too (and keep the best level of privacy protection)
Bitdefender TrafficLight blocks only what it KNOWS as bad. MBAM goes one step further and blocks anything that might look as a scam, fake av/optimiser, etc. On synthesized test maybe BTL is the best. But day-to-day definitely, MBAM BG wins.

AnErrupTion

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 29, 2020
You've ticked lot's of features??? In MBAM free...? Highly Configurable? Accurate and reliable Antivirus engine? Really?
Then you've said limited web-protection. MBAM's Browser Guard is actually a monster in web-protection. It is probably the best tool I have ever seen. It also doesn't slow down the browsing speed. I personally do not find this review accurate.
For web protection, I was talking about Malwarebytes Free, not the Browser Guard (but I do use it and yes it's a monster).
Accurate and reliable Antivirus engine, it's personally my opinion. I said that I had Malwarebytes since version 2.0 and it NEVER EVER disappointed me.
Well, maybe it doesn't have that much features, but it is highly configurable.

B

BVLon

For web protection, I was talking about Malwarebytes Free, not the Browser Guard (but I do use it and yes it's a monster).
Accurate and reliable Antivirus engine, it's personally my opinion. I said that I had Malwarebytes since version 2.0 and it NEVER EVER disappointed me.
Well, maybe it doesn't have that much features, but it is highly configurable.
Neither it's accurate, nor is it reliable. It's got good removal capabilities and erases threats in their entirety, but it's a galaxy away from being reliable. I do respect your personal opinion however.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I don't understand the thread. You're comparing MBAM Free version (on demand scanner) with antiviruses that provide real time protection. MBAM Free is just an on demand scanner. What are we comparing?

AnErrupTion

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 29, 2020
I don't understand the thread. You're comparing MBAM Free version (on demand scanner) with antiviruses that provide real time protection. MBAM Free is just an on demand scanner. What are we comparing?
I never did that. I think you didn't understand it. I said that I had tested a lot of antiviruses that all got outclassed by Malwarebytes at the end (my personnal opinion here).

B

BVLon

I think he is taking protection as "raw malware detection" and he finds it to be great, so he is right in a way (even though I wouldn't say the same about it and neither will independent labs. Outclassing many AVs... like which? McAfee? The free version obviously won't offer any protection. It is what it is - a second opinion scanner.

I've heard a lot of people saying that MBBG is heavier than other extensions... with significant impact in performance and in loading websites. What are your experience with that guys?
It is a bit heavy, so it should be avoided on slower systems, but bear in mind it also blocks ads and trackers. Bitdefender TL doesn't block any content on the page itself, so I don't even think the comparison is fair. To be fair, you have to turn off the ad and tracker block and then test the extensions.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnErrupTion

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 29, 2020
Oh, okay, I apologize for the misunderstanding. I find it to be a very good scanner; but wouldn't pay for the full version - not worth it.
The paid version will just bring real-time protection (malware, web, phishing and ransomware protections). You can use Malwarebytes with MBBG and you basically have the Premium version of MBAM. (Except you don't have the anti-ransomware protection.)

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I have a lifetime license for pro version,and install it now and then(I keep uninstalling)Web protection blocks Movies 123 and even after I make exception keeps blocking,Kaspersky on the other hand blocks,what ever it is and I can still watch, Symantec same,Windows Defender no alert what soever???and I can still watch, Any way Malwarebytes seem to be improving,but Its gonna be for me just a secondary scanner for now.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Same experience here, MBAM web protection is one the best if not the best in the market, it really is a cut above the rest.

If MB Premium was lighter I would use it with my "traditional" antivirus solution.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.