Malwarebytes 4.0.4

Product name
Malwarebytes 4.0.4 Free
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
The interface can be somewhat difficult for new users since they have a lot of settings, but they can be learnt in a few minutes.
Performance (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Protection is absolutely excellent. At least, that's my opinion. I've tested a lot of antiviruses (Kaspersky, Avast, Avira, and more...) but, at the end, I've outclassed them by Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes seems to detects less false positives and more real threats in general. I've used everywhere to clean infected computers and it worked like a charm.
Positives
    • Freeware
    • Many features
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Compatible with other anti-virus software
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
Negatives
    • Noticeable negative system impact
    • Resource intensive tasks
    • Limited web protection
    • Includes paid-for components (paywall)
    • Scans can be rather slow
    • Can slow down your browsing speed
Time spent using product
Computer specs
QEMU/KVM Virtual Machine (using virt-manager) on Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS.
VM specs :
Intel Core i7 9xx Nehalem, IBRS update
Integrated graphics
2 GB RAM DDR3
~40 GB SATA HDD
Windows 7 SP1 x64
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I have a lifetime license of MalwareBytes Premium...but did not install it on my latest computer. Too heavy.. Virus protection average..I prefer Windows Defender with Configure Defender. I installed MalwareBytes Browser Guard extension ( add tracking disabled) ( Chrome and Edge) after reading this review:
It's a little heavy but the protection is good!

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I used to be a fan of MBG.

And it's "MBG" rather than "MBBG." :)
1584394552409.png

It reminds me of my early enthusiasm for Cylance.

And Cylance does absolutely have great 0-day and ransomware protection.

But it's chuck full of false positives.

They are both full of false positives.

MBG breaks websites. Lots of websites.

Example: Costco.com

The way it is supposed to look --

1584394952980.png

With MBG enabled --

1584394888444.png

Title missing, additional pics missing, reviews missing, purchase button missing...

And it's often like this with MBG.

And like Cylance... it's pretty good at some things... but there are a lot more false positives than actual threats.

1584395143419.png

B

BVLon

I thought Malwarebytes was stylized MalwareBytes... didn't realise they've changed that, but then again, they are not the most important business on this planet for one to keep current with them :D.
Their MBG is quite good, but needs some work. I noticed it's a whole thing to bypass a warning. It opens 10 additional tabs, before opening the blocked site. It's good for novice users tho, as it blocks quite a lot of scam pages and it might be great for elderly people as well. Few broken pages are a tolerable toll to pay in the name of keeping finances secure.
BB Cylance is one product that I've never tried and I should.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I used to be a fan of MBG.

View attachment 234912

It reminds me of my early enthusiasm for Cylance.

And Cylance does absolutely have great 0-day and ransomware protection.

But it's chuck full of false positives.

They are both full of false positives.

MBG breaks websites. Lots of websites.

Yeah, so true.
Does it still break webpages if you disable the adblock functionality ? Personally I dont bother with it, just the malware/phishing/scam protection.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Yeah, so true.
Does it still break webpages if you disable the adblock functionality ? Personally I dont bother with it, just the malware/phishing/scam protection.

Hey Nightwalker,

Good question. In this case, it's the "Scams" toggle that causes the issue.

1584401980592.png

In this image, the additional pictures show up... and other things hidden by the MBG GUI.

And that's exactly the thing.... I got tired of things not working, and I learned to always suspect it was MBG, and then I'd start the process of trying to figure out what part of MBG is breaking a website..

If you have the patience and tolerance to do that... you are probably safer.

But like SO many other products over time... ultimately I want my security products to be really smart. I don't want a lot of extra work to get the browser to function correctly.

\

1584402356930.png

sg09

Level 2
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
Hi, I can see from the feedback that scans can be quite slow, but how much?

I recently installed the latest build and found that it was awfully slow! It took nearly 3-4 times the time it took in earlier v3.

Now, I am confused! Is the scan supposed to be this much slow, or the software is suffering some interference from F-Secure Safe! F-Secure has the habit of making us uninstall every other resident software before installation, but is actually compatible with many. Has anyone tried this combo lately?

Disc: I have a lifetime MBAM license.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

I recently installed the latest build and found that it was awfully slow! It took nearly 3-4 times the time it took in earlier v3.

Now, I am confused! Is the scan supposed to be this much slow, or the software is suffering some interference from F-Secure Safe! F-Secure has the habit of making us uninstall every other resident software before installation, but is actually compatible with many. Has anyone tried this combo lately?

In my machine Malwarebytes 4 is far from being slow at scanning, it doesnt take more than 30 seconds to be complete.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Yes, I am using Windows 10. Why are you suggesting that?

Because rootkit as a threat is essentialy dead, save for some hardcore targeted attack that you will never be infected with and that Malwarebytes wont help anyway.

Otherwise, you dont need to full scan your system, the default mode is optimal because it is targeting active infections and common potential infected directories.

sirius777

Level 2
Oct 24, 2019

Did you white list (excluded) Malwarebytes in your other security software? I see you are using Malwarebytes Premium together with Emsisoft Home Premium and Rogue-Killer Antimalware.

sg09

Level 2
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
@sirius777 today I again installed Malwarebytes but this time I excluded all folders & drivers of MBAM in F-Secure settings. Still, I faced the same painstakingly long scanning times. Also, I noticed that MBAM interfered with the functioning of Adguard, for example Adguard Assistant wasn't showing up and a number of ads & pop-ups were thrown, (which normally adguard blocks & in fact did after I uninstalled MBAM), which were then blocked by MBAM. I used to use MBAM v3 with Adguard before without issues.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.