App Review Malwarebytes 4.5: Test vs Malware | The PC Security Channel

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
May flip the trial on since I have this installed just to see. My biggest issue with Malwarebytes was it not consistently registering with windows security. Even when it does it takes a long time after a reboot.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
May flip the trial on since I have this installed just to see. My biggest issue with Malwarebytes was it not consistently registering with windows security. Even when it does it takes a long time after a reboot.

Same issue, I already reported in the official forum months ago and it still wasnt fixed.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Can it be told not to scan every time the computer starts up?

Yes, you need to disable the setting "Scan at next opportunity" and schedule the scan frequency according to your needs ("Weekly" for me).

Otherwise, you can delay real-time protection after a reboot too, it is pretty configurable.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Malwarebytes registers fine for me in Windows 11 Pro. Using version 4.5.2

Try this:

1 - Reboot your system.

2 - Just after you login/start the system take a look at task manager and search for "Antimalware Service Executable", you will see that Microsoft Defender is running together with Malwarebytes consuming system resources, this happen even if MBAM is configured to "Always register at Windows Security Center".

3 - Look for "MBAMWsc.exe", it is trying to register Malwarebytes with Windows Security Center.

4 - After sometime MBAMWsc will finally succeed and Microsoft Defender will finally be disabled.

1chaoticadult

Level 2
Verified
Jul 29, 2013
Try this:

1 - Reboot your system.

2 - Just after you login/start the system take a look at task manager and search for "Antimalware Service Executable", you will see that Microsoft Defender is running together with Malwarebytes consuming system resources, this happen even if MBAM is configured to "Always register at Windows Security Center".

3 - Look for "MBAMWsc.exe", it is trying to register Malwarebytes with Windows Security Center.

4 - After sometime MBAMWsc will finally succeed and Microsoft Defender will finally be disabled.
I see MBAMWsc briefly but I never see Antimalware Service Execcutable at all.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Gave Mbam a try, It accepted a lifetime code from 1955 without problem - I've never used Mbam as a primary AV ever, it was always a supplementary program to an anti-virus - Really surprised at the ease of install & setup - Program window a little small on hi-res but OK - Will stick with it & see if any issues arise, running with OS Armor / BlackFog/ & AdGuard for Windows.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
This test was actually pretty good, it seems that Malwarebytes with Pen testing protection setting enabled is a powerful defense against fileless malware/LOLbins.

In the past I've posted to the effect that Malwarebytes is better at protecting its users from real threats than synthetic/lab tests show, but apparently advances with the Katana engine have allowed good progress in this type of environment.

Due to what the cyber threat landscape is composed of I believe Malwarebytes is better than most antiviruses, this is simply because most insist on being shy against PUPs/adware, while historically Malwarebytes has always been very aggressive against this type of threat .

The combination of anti-exploit, aggressive web protection and reasonable anti-ransomware makes Malwarebytes a pretty decent solution for a home user, especially if "Pen testing" mode is enabled.​

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The main continuing issue with MB is that it remains oblivious to many malware that are not in the form of executables (exe's). Things like vbs, js, and other diverse scriptors are often not included in the database, and even with Pen Testing mode enabled and Java protection maxxed infection can easily occur.

More expansive testing using vbs worms, Cryp32 or MyLittlePony ransomware would have yielded sub-optimal results.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
The main continuing issue with MB is that it remains oblivious to many malware that are not in the form of executables (exe's). Things like vbs, js, and other diverse scriptors are often not included in the database, and even with Pen Testing mode enabled and Java protection maxxed infection can easily occur.

More expansive testing using vbs worms, Cryp32 or MyLittlePony ransomware would have yielded sub-optimal results.

I agree, but to be fair many other "traditional" antivirus solutions arent much better than it against those vectors, maybe it is a good idea to use it together with WiseVector StopX.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

I agree, but to be fair many other "traditional" antivirus solutions arent much better than it against those vectors, maybe it is a good idea to use it together with WiseVector StopX.
I like using OSArmor with any AV to help keep things a little more locked up.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
MBAM plays nicely with both WD (MBAM not registered in security centre) & Avast Free (with each added to the others list of exceptions)... I switch regularly between WD+WVSX (or MBAM) and Avast Free+MBAM as I can't decide which combination is more effective :) I prefer Avast+MBAM to WD+MBAM primarily because Avast's equivalent of Controlled Folders is more intuitive, GUI is far superior and, on my system, system impact seems lower. Tempted to switch back to that combination from WD+WVSX that I'm currently using now :)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.