Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
:) Long intro

Marcin once gave me an a free license, when I wanted to have a look at MBAM V3 it was cancelled, with the text " these licenses are only valid for MBAM employees and their family members, please purchase a valid license. I never reacted to that email, because people on security forums were not that positive about MBAM and Cruel Sister played cat and mouse with the new anti-ransomware module (every time MBAM published a press release that they had improved, Cruel Sister brought it down with ransomware).

So now I clicked on the link of above post and I got this response (see picture below), so my question is (to @Mops21 ) "is the new Beta on invitation base only (or am I blacklisted at MBAM)?

1563823149844.png

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I have a lifetime code for malwarebytes bought in 2011, I have not used it for about 4 or 5 years,so I am happy to see it rebounding , AV testing gives it a couple of 5"s,I have seen Norton rebound McAfee rebound,after all 3 went from good to pretenders,it seem like the owners of Malwarebytes are trying to improve. Sorry Windows_Security for the raw deal you got gl

Reactions: [correlate]

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Can you share more details? Any new interesting features or changelog?

Thanks
I never got a chance to see much. I installed it on an Win8.1 x86 machine. Installation went very smooth. But when I tried "check for updates" it just got stuck... checking and checking... Then I went through the setup menus... When I came to Account Details, the window froze and the program became unresponsive. I killed it and restarted. I ran a scan (I had checked the scan as low priority) and my CPU pegged at 100%... half of that was MBAM and the other was a bunch of Windows stuff...cryptographic this and that...

New interface, more concise, but no obvious user feature changes.

I had enough. Hello Revo, good-bye MBAM.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I never got a chance to see much. I installed it on an Windows 8.1 x86 machine. Installation went very smooth. But when I tried "check for updates" it just got stuck... checking and checking... Then I went through the setup menus... When I came to Account Details, the window froze and the program became unresponsive. I killed it and restarted. I ran a scan (I had checked the scan as low priority) and my CPU pegged at 100%... half of that was MBAM and the other was a bunch of Windows stuff...cryptographic this and that...

New interface, more concise, but no obvious user feature changes.

I had enough. Hello Revo, good-bye MBAM.

That's too bad.

I keep thinking the MBAM comeback has started....

.... but maybe not.

Even knowing its many limitations and lameness, I still use it in combination with other things on a couple of computers. Of course, that's with no-cost lifetime licenses... I'd never pay for it at this point.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@Mops21 thx

@Dave Russo
When a rebrand of MBAM was available, I tried to enter the license in MBAM V1 and it worked. The rebrand license was not
eligible for update to V2, using the rebranded version license with MBAM V1 one could get a free license with update.

Marcin contacted me through PM and thanked me for posting and gave me a license for free. I used free version of V1 on demand, when they kept services running in later versions I started to use HitmanPro (free). So not really a bad deal, just never used the license (and a bit funny that owner/CEO gives away a license which triggers their fraud mechanisms, because I am no MBAM employee or family member of an MBAM employee).

@Telos
I logged in, seems it is on invitation basis, so I that sort of answers my question (don't need to worry that I am blacklisted).

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Malwarebytes 4 Beta changelog:

New detection engine that

• Improves Zero-hour detection
  • Dynamically extends detection to mutating malware
Other changes

• Improved performance and faster scans
  • Complete redesign of the User Interface
  • Simplification of the Windows Security Center integration setting
  • Improved Web Protection component
Malwarebytes 4.0.1.31 Beta changelog:

• Performance/protective capability
  • Improved detection and remediation
Usability

• Removed default monthly Scheduled Scan in Free mode
  • Updated the installer to allow installation to standalone Business mode when certain conditions are met
Stability/issues fixed

• Fixed BSOD involving fart.sys
  • Fixed issue with exclusion involving short filenames
  • Fixed issue where Real-Time Protection did not enable properly
  • Addressed other miscellaneous defects
Known Issues:

• A working internet connection is required for the installer
  • Under certain circumstances the installer requires a fully clean install to complete
  • The Installer is still working with a provisional UI and it lacks certain basic elements (such as a progress bar)
  • The installer does not support Safe Mode at this point
  • False Positives rate will be significantly low but they can still occur
  • This version is still English only
  • Crashes and BSODs can appear under certain circumstances
  • The UI does not support High DPI and certain screen resolutions
  • Isolated parts of the new UI still show the old UI’s screen, for some settings, prompts, pop-ups and notifications.
  • Animations within the UI might occasionally appear clunky
  • Certain grids show items not in expected (often chronological) order
  • Miscellaneous visual and cosmetic glitches such as borders disappearing, missed alignments, color mismatches and hover-over effects missing
  • Copy can still be provisional in certain screens and or wrong or missing
  • This new version does not support Windows 8, it supports Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and newer. It does not support Tablets
  • The support tool does not support 4.x Betas.
Download: Malwarebytes 4.0.1.31 Beta | 1.0 MB (Free, paid upgrade available)

1566642555544.png

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
Malwarebytes, maker of the security application Malwarebytes, released the first beta version of the upcoming major release Malwarebytes 4 to the public.

Anyone may download and install the beta version. Existing users should note that the new version will be installed over the old even if the current installation of Malwarebytes is a stable version (except for previous version 4.x releases). It is recommended to install the beta on non-production machines only to avoid any issues.

You could also remove any existing installation of Malwarebytes before installing the new one to start with a clean plate.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.