Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 4 Beta / Final Thread

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
If history serves as a guide..... it may be to the benefit of many to wait before updating Malwarebytes.

Unless.... you like being an early adopter and helping the developer identify bugs and glitches...

The update from 2.x to 3.x was not a smooth process.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Sometimes I think what kind of extra protection their software offer against "traditional" AV softwares? Nowadays many antivirus programs have many protection mechanisms, so why would i buy Malwarebytes for additional protection? Maybe "improves zero-hour detection" and "dynamically extends detection to mutating malware" are actually effective. We'll see. On the positive side, many years ago, malwarebytes saved my(ass), my friends and even on my work computers to get rid of stubborn malwares/pups. It was only software back in time that removed them, so actually, i owe them one buying a licence :).
-sepik

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I don't really like the new GUI all that much, but that's beside the point. Its whats under
the hood that counts. I hope v4 will improve their signature detection capabilities, as
I have always been fond of this software.

I have a lifetime license of MBAM and eager to test it on my test machine.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I personally like Malwarebytes despite all the criticizes and bad testing results, I think it has a very good web, PUA and anti-exploit protection and it has a very decent ransomware blocker, so considering the malware scenario nowadays, the antivirus replacement marketing makes sense.

Said that, I think it is hard to recommend its purchase/usage; it has a very high system impact for what it brings to the table, most antivirus solutions nowadays has less system impact and a much broader threat cover than Malwarebytes, so why spend money/resources on it?

It is a product with potential, if only it was lighter with slightly better detection I could see its usage in a combo with Windows Defender, but not in its current form.

Maybe this version 4 could improve those downfalls, but I remain sceptical.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I personally like Malwarebytes despite all the criticizes and bad testing results, I think it has a very good web, PUA and anti-exploit protection and it has a very decent ransomware blocker, so considering the malware scenario nowadays, the antivirus replacement marketing makes sense.

Said that, I think it is hard to recommend its purchase/usage; it has a very high system impact for what it brings to the table, most antivirus solutions nowadays has less system impact and a much broader threat cover than Malwarebytes, so why spend money/resources on it?

It is a product with potential, if only it was lighter with slightly better detection I could see its usage in a combo with Windows Defender, but not in its current form.

Maybe this version 4 could improve those downfalls, but I remain sceptical.
I’ve run MBAM next to WD for a while now. I never have paid full price (always follow the Newegg sales). But the system impact, like with all software, is dependent on the system and usage. I didn’t notice a huge difference switching one of my systems to ESET alone other than moving large files, which I rarely do. So for casual browsers and office users I think the web filter, anti exploit, and ransomware protection are probably worth paying for to compliment Defender, just not at their full asking price.

Last edited:

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Hello,

I have a few questions about Malwarebytes Free.

1. If you have Malwarebytes Free, is there any point in using Malwarebytes AdwCleaner?

2. Does Malwarebytes Free automatically update its virus definitions/program versions or do you still have to manually update every time before you do a scan?

Thank you,
-John Jr

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hello,

I have a few questions about Malwarebytes Free.

1. If you have Malwarebytes Free, is there any point in using Malwarebytes AdwCleaner?

2. Does Malwarebytes Free automatically update its virus definitions/program versions or do you still have to manually update every time before you do a scan?

Thank you,
-John Jr

1. No, AFAIK.

2. It will update when you run a scan.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
1. No, AFAIK.

2. It will update when you run a scan.

Hello Oldschool,

1. Thank you, I was hoping that was the case; embarrassingly, I had to look up what AFAIK stood for, which was (as far as I know). ;)

2. That is great to hear, they should advertise that, I would have started back using it a long time ago if I had known that; thank you. (y)

Have a nice day,
-John Jr

Reactions: plat and oldschool

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hello Oldschool,

1. Thank you, I was hoping that was the case; embarrassingly, I had to look up what AFAIK stood for, which was (as far as I know). ;)

2. That is great to hear, they should advertise that, I would have started back using it a long time ago if I had known that; thank you. (y)

Have a nice day,
-John Jr

If you didn't already know - there is a setting to check for version update, or used to be. I haven't used it in awhile. You can choose on/off. This setting is different than the auto definitions update.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
If you didn't already know - there is a setting to check for version update, or used to be. I haven't used it in awhile. You can choose on/off. This setting is different than the auto definitions update.

Hello Oldschool,

I assume that you are talking about this (this is from their documentation, I actually have version 3.8.X installed):

24a.png

Something interesting happened when I went to check for this setting, it was already enabled, and today I had already right-clicked on the Malwarebytes icon to check for updates; but when I clicked on Install Application Updates underneath those settings, there was an update that I had not been notified about previously, and so Malwarebytes needed to restart itself in order to update; and so thank you.

I am confused and disappointed that it had not informed me of this update earlier because I checked for updates less than an hour ago, and I already had options to automatically download and install and notify me of updates enabled.

I wonder how long has this update been available without me knowing it?

Thanks,
-John Jr

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Hello Oldschool,

I assume that you are talking about this (this is from their documentation, I actually have version 3.8.X installed):

24a.png

Something interesting happened when I went to check for this setting, it was already enabled, and today I had already right-clicked on the Malwarebytes icon to check for updates; but when I clicked on Install Application Updates underneath those settings, there was an update that I had not been notified about previously, and so Malwarebytes needed to restart itself in order to update; and so thank you.

I am confused and disappointed that it had not informed me of this update earlier because I checked for updates less than an hour ago, and I already had options to automatically download and install and notify me of updates enabled.

I wonder how long has this update been available without me knowing it?

Thanks,
-John Jr

Why not run the 4.0 beta?

Reactions: goodjohnjr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.