Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 4 Beta / Final Thread

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
How does it compare to Exploit Guard?

Exploit Guard's UX and GUI suck, a lot actually but in terms of features, Exploit Guard is quite thorough

I can't give you a technical comparison since I lack the qualifications, and I'm not sure how and what Exploit Guard protects at default settings. MBAE beta is supposed to protect browsers, PDF readers, etc. like Windows EG, and you can add apps to its protected list. I have used both EG @ default settings and MBAE together. It's simple, set-and-forget and lightweight.

However, your question is about a subject that deserves its own thread.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I'm not sure how and what Exploit Guard protects at default settings.
it is system-wide and protect the classic exploits path, it is remodeled EMET after all, then you can customize it by adding and/or increasing some processes' protection.

I have used both EG @ default settings and MBAE together. It's simple, set-and-forget and lightweight.
unless they changed something, MBAE is supposed to silently take over EG. So in fact, you dont run both together.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
it is system-wide and protect the classic exploits path, it is remodeled EMET after all, then you can customize it by adding and/or increasing some processes' protection.

Yes, but understanding how to customize EG is the issue for me. I have only a very general understanding of EG's individual features/settings, eg. Bottom-up ASLR, DEP, SEHOP, etc., and most users wouldn't have the faintest idea which to enable for different apps. There is no M$ documentation about these.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Yes, but understanding how to customize EG is the issue for me. I have only a very general understanding of EG's individual features/settings, eg. Bottom-up ASLR, DEP, SEHOP, etc., and most users wouldn't have the faintest idea which to enable for different apps. There is no M$ documentation about these.
All true anti-exploit uses those settings (HMPA, MBAE) you can find explanations about those on google but if you don't want go deep, just let the default settings.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
View attachment 229121

Against my better judgment, I downloaded Malwarebytes 4.0.4.

And all went well.

Since both the previous major update transitions were not smooth, my expectations were low.

The soft blue on soft blue motif brings out my metro-feminine side.

A change from 3.x ------ when one hits the "My Account" button, it does not lead to account info in the Malwarebytes GUI. It opens my.malwarebytes webpage.

View attachment 229126

They remember me..

They did seem to redesign much of the GUI.

There is now only one type of scan, the "Threat Scan." So the quick scan (whatever it was called) is gone.

I installed it, too. Over the top of 3 (next to WD since I told it not to register in the security center). It did it’s scan, seems fine. Now it’s sitting there. The web filtering still seems good, maybe I’ll keep it and drop some extensions.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Rootkits are rare these days with secure boot...

Yes. I recall somebody from MBAM indicating that with Windows 10, the probability of rootkits has diminished -- and that's why the scan is not on by default. But that was awhile ago.

And -- there are some indications that the rootkit threat is returning. Scranos and other rootkits are out there doin' their thing..

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.