App Review Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium 2021

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Malwarebytes test!

Malwarebytes is an American company founded in 2006 by Marcin Kleczynsk .
It used to be a simple disinfection tool, but over the years, Malwarebytes has become stronger with more and more shields to make it direct to antivirus.

Malwarebytes returns in this end of year with an AI Machine Learning, and a new engine, Katana.

The software is simple, very intuitive and light.

In terms of protection, Malwarebytes proves its efficiency, but also shows that alone, it is not enough....
A good computer virus passed by, infecting all my disinfection tools and system applications!

Even if it is efficient, I recommend you to couple it with an antivirus like Microsoft Defender, Avast! or Avira!

RAM Usage : Light
Phishing Test : 0/5 (all missed)
Malware URL test : 10/10 (all detected)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected by databse)
Malware Pack : Remaining 1817 files to 7806 malwares
Result :
- Malwarebytes : 6
- Zemana : Infected by virus...
- Hitman Pro : Infected by virus...
- McAfee : Infected by virus...
- NPE : Infected by virus...
- ESET Online : 55

Video information: I changed my recording and editing software (Action Mirillis and Wondershare Filmora)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
It does keep your pc clean by blocking 10/10 downloads , its decent still against phishing aswell (tld blocking)

Detection rate just i not where it should it be at

I think many of people used it as second opinion scanner for long time, but since year or two its abandoned as second opinion scanner
Maybe time matures malwarebytes as antivirus, and it will be competing with the other vendors in future

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

@Shadowra

Thx for the test. You often mention that the software tested is light. Could you add a test with AppTimer to measure startup time of your browser and compare this to a baseline security (e.g. Microsoft Defender). Since RAM became sort of irrelevant, the main criteria for lightness are program startup time and file copying (to a lesser degree because writes are often cached)

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
@Shadowra

Thx for the test. You often mention that the software tested is light. Could you add a test with AppTimer to measure startup time of your browser and compare this to a baseline security (e.g. Microsoft Defender). Since RAM became sort of irrelevant, the main criteria for lightness are program startup time and file copying (to a lesser degree because writes are often cached)

Hello :)

I had thought about it, it will be included in the next videos

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Malwarebytes in the old days, it was better.

It was not, not even close, this perception is because most antivirus were pretty mediocre against adware and PUPs and Malwarebytes had good detection and removal against those, actually most antivirus in that age were very unreliable, it was the gold age of HIPS/Sandbox/third party Firewalls/standalone behavior blockers and scanners.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
I've used Malwarebytes Premium alongside either Avast or WD for years, as an extra layer, without any issues. SInce adding AdGuard for Windows using Quad 9 DNS I rarely see Malwarebytes throw up an alert of any sort so presumably Quad9 is handling the potentially malware/phishing urls now. Not sure what Malwarebytes adds so perhaps should drop its real-time protection and just use as an occasional second opinion scanner.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Could you test K7 against to QuickHeal? As for my experiences to K7 has better signatures than Quickheal, but on the otherside QH offers better proactive protections. Is it true?
Based on tests I've seen in the malware hub, it is. Quick Heal's signatures are not that good and they no longer use Bitdefender signatures as well as their own. On the other hand K7's signatures are decent, although not quite as good as the better known antiviruses.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I used to use this program as an on-demand scanner, without real-time protection. But then I uninstalled it. HitmanPro is enough. But if friends have a lot of PUPs in the system, adware, then I advise you to clean them with Malwarebytes. :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.