App Review Malwarebytes Anti-ransomware (BETA 8) - quick ransomware test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I disagree. RansomFree is quite powerful and it's a free tool. avast!/AVG Software Analyzer proved to be super effective against ransomware. Same goes for Bitdefender's ATC and Kaspersky's System Watcher. I've also got excellent results even from prehistoric ThreatFire. However, if you noticed, none of these are specifically to counter ransomware except RansomFree. And yet they perform so great. Not sure why Malwarebytes seems to be so-so...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I disagree. RansomFree is quite powerful and it's a free tool. avast!/AVG Software Analyzer proved to be super effective against ransomware. Same goes for Bitdefender's ATC and Kaspersky's System Watcher. I've also got excellent results even from prehistoric ThreatFire. However, if you noticed, none of these are specifically to counter ransomware except RansomFree. And yet they perform so great. Not sure why Malwarebytes seems to be so-so...
I will try to test those ransomwares with kaspersky system rollback and ATC with cloud disabled
according to my previous test with kaspersky antiransomware, it did so-so like this MB tool. I doubt KARW is weaker than proper kaspersky AV's system rollback

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I will be publishing another AppCheck video this coming weekend. It will be against the same malware as seen in yesterdays HMPA quickie. Also I will be testing the Pro version, so will include a couple (three) different MBR lockers (the video is pretty much done, I just have to decide on an eight minute song- I'm thinking vintage Zappa).

The one ESSENTIAL thing to remember about AppCheck is that it is specific in protecting Documents, Photos, etc. By this I mean that Fortress-class ransomware (attacking exe's dll's and so forth) will be allowed to proceed; so an application can be trashed BUT personal Documents (which are not replaceable) will be protected by the backup system and so can be restored. But there is a function where other directories can also be backed up.

About MB's ransomware module- It was coded by the same guy that did the horrible CryptoMonitor and never has been any good.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.