Malwarebytes AntiMalware removing Wise Registry Cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

I ran MalwareBytes AntiMalware (free) last night for a complete scan and guess what? It detected Wise Registry Cleaner (free) as PUP (I think 10 entries including dll, exe etc files) and when I click to remove them Wise Registry Cleaner just disappeared from my desktop.

After the scan I have to re-install Wise Registry Cleaner again

I don't understand why Wise Registry Cleaner is id as PUP in the first place. Anyone has this problem?

There's mentioned of a log file created which I like to post here but I can't find it. Anyone knows where is it located?

Thanks

Edit - Re-ran the complete scan and realized it detected 62 entries ALL belong to Wise Registry Cleaner

OK, found the log file location

Last edited:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Hi

I ran MalwareBytes AntiMalware (free) last night for a complete scan and guess what? It detected Wise Registry Cleaner (free) as PUP (I think 10 entries including dll, exe etc files) and when I click to remove them Wise Registry Cleaner just disappeared from my desktop.

After the scan I have to re-install Wise Registry Cleaner again

I don't understand why Wise Registry Cleaner is id as PUP in the first place. Anyone has this problem?

There's mentioned of a log file created which I like to post here but I can't find it. Anyone knows where is it located?

Thanks
Indeed!
ADW cleaner also reports the same:
bprkeaszmzipppegifycgiudgdoklegpxmyvbdcmihuvjprqemqyvtgmrfmizoxarbutgppsblmhmaxuljycfrsxuxaixnwpgjjc

Maybe FP?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I just tried to run AdwCleaner 6.040 and it pops up messages saying

"Can't install quarantine. Please contact support@malwarebytes.com" and "AdwCleaner database cannot be loaded"

I don't have such problems previously

Last edited:
Reactions: SHvFl

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Reactions: SHvFl and XhenEd

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Registry Cleaners are known to be harmful to the system and should not be used for any reason there is. It's a known fact that using these programs can easily break a Windows installation, to the point where a complete reinstallation might be needed. Here's a few myths about using these programs, and why they are just plainly false.
  • "Using a Registry Cleaner will improve a system's performance" - False. The Windows Registry is a big database which contains information on everything present on the system, from the boot settings to how your programs looks when you open them. There's so many entries in it that cleaning even thousands of them isn't enough to boost a system performance. Also, there's no studies, tests, benchmarks, etc. which shows that using Registry Cleaners actually improve a system speed;
  • "Using a Registry Cleaner will fix all your errors" - False. Using a Registry Cleaner won't fix any problems at all. In fact, it have more chances to create them if anything. There's no program that can fix every problems in a simple click, and there probably never will. If you have an error, it's better to troubleshoot that error in particuliar by finding what's causing it and fixing it than using a software that might give you more errors;
  • "If you don't use a Registry Cleaner, you'll leave a door open for malware" - False. It is rare that malware will actually hijack orpheans keys and keypairs in the Registry to create persistence or install themself. They'll usually create their own keys/keypairs since they have been instructed (coded) to do so, and the creator cannot expect every system he'll infect to have leftover keys. Also, pretty much only Reg Loading Points in the Registry would be of any interest for a malware to hijack, and these are usually occupied already, or quickly deleted when empty;
  • Registry Cleaners aren't Registry Defraggers - These are two different kind of software who have two distinct function each.
  • On a last note, there's a lot of Registry Cleaners out here that won't create a back-up of your Registry before applying the changes they make. Which means that if you use them and clean entries that prevents Windows to reboot after, locking you out of your computer, you won't be able to restore a precedent Registry back-up via the Recovery PE. This means that if you can't fix the boot issue after that, you'll most likely be forced to reinstall Windows;
Registry Cleaners were used back in the days by developers who were using a OLE-schema for their applications. They used these to clean the Registry after uninstalling their programs, just in case there was traces of it left behind that could affect a reinstallation. These were back in the Windows 95 and Windows 98 days and this practice isn't in effect anymore. Therefore, there's no reason for you to use such programs and quite a few to avoid them instead.

Here's more articles on Registry Cleaners that are worth a read if you want to learn more about them and why you shouldn't use them.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
OK, finally solved the Wise Registry problem. I totally excluded it in Malwarebytes AntiMalware and now complete scan shows nothing

As for AdwCleaner I lowered the protection level in AppGuard to allow it to install and now it works perfectly.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: SHvFl and frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is Wise Regitery Cleaner malware?

If the installation filename of WRC you downloaded is WRCFree.exe, Spyhuter will be recommended during the installation process. But as you know, we just recommend not force user to install Spyhunter. There is a clear button “Decline” which can allow you to cancel the recommended installation and continue to install WRC.

@frogboy Thanks for the link, didn't know about Wise Care bundling junkware in their installer.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes Registry Cleaners are dangerous however that will depend on how aggressive can be.

Its just matter of cleaning leftover keys; but the problem here is how can an algorithm will make sure the detection is right?

You will be the one to judge it.

------------

Better ignore the detection of MBAM if you think the program you install is really legitimate; since most of the time its flagged because of bundled programs that you decline on installation.

Reactions: Berny and Wave

Berny

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2016
IMHO , and to confirm above comments : Only proceed with a Reg Cleaner after a failing uninstall to locate and eventually delete only some leftovers that might not have been removed and that are blocking a reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.