Malwarebytes Assistant UAC prompt on exit

slash/

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Exiting Malwarebytes from tray requires UAC elevation for Malwarebytes Assistant.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Startup disabled. Notifications disabled. All real-time protection disabled.
Why does Malwarebytes (all real-time protection disabled) require UAC elevation for Malwarebytes Assistant when choosing to exit from the tray icon?

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hi @root/ !

For me, I always have to type in the credentials to ensure that Malwarebyte closes out correctly. UAC is required; however, you can make tweaks to turn stuff off - there is a will there is a way! Personally, I'd leave it be. Don't go muddying up permissions.

I hope others chime in too!

Hopefully, my response helps you!

Thanks,

Brian

Upvote 0

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
require UAC elevation for Malwarebytes Assistant when choosing to exit from the tray icon?

that's d standard... & btw exiting from tray icon actually terminates the program itself, not just d GUI. & I hope I don't have to tell you why MB does need elevation. If you are still confused about it, please allow me to understand your confusion.

Reactions: Lightning_Brian
Upvote 0

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
that's d standard... & btw exiting from tray icon actually terminates the program itself, not just d GUI. & I hope I don't have to tell you why MB does need elevation. If you are still confused about it, please allow me to understand your confusion.

Hi @root/ !

@yitworths Is absolutely correct. Exiting the tray icon does terminate the entire program itself. Some people do not understand that scenario with Malwarebytes. @yitworths Thanks for pointing this out. I believe some people get confused about this as well.

~Brian

Upvote 0

slash/

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
@yitworths @Lightning_Brian These points make sense if real-time protection was enabled. All real-time security software prompt for UAC elevation if you try to pause or exit protection.

However, as @Azure Phoenix said, like ZAM, it shouldn't be asking for UAC elevation since it is just an on-demand scanner at that point. I don't know a single other on-demand scanner that requires UAC elevation to exit.

Upvote 0

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@root/ Indeed I do not see a ton of applications that require UAC to quite. However, I do have real-time protection enabled when I use Malwarebytes so this may come into play here.

ZAM doesn't require elevation at all from the best of my knowledge. Unless one changes settings and security permissions on a given computer.

~Brian

Upvote 0

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
@root/ UAC elevation prompts for a consent UI... there are some tricks/methods to bypass it. & regarding ZAM, it probably uses one of those tricks. Administrator right is needed to scan or access some of your critical files or folders, so without that ZAM wouldn't be able to scan your pc properly. or if ZAM doesn't use any UAC_skip trick then it probably loads some of its services during system start-up.

& regarding malwarebytes, it asks UAC consent because malwarebytes core service/process gets terminated. This is the same service/process which MBAM uses to scan your pc in its premium version. I don't see any anomaly in its behaviour for asking UAC permission. If it would have asked UAC consent during start-up(on-demand), then it would not ask for UAC elevation on exiting. Now, that's malwarebytes' choice, what can I/you do? Hope,it helps. Tbh, I'm much more comfortable with asking for UAC permission than bypassing it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.