Advice Request Malwarebytes blocked IObit driver booster

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

TGITBIB

May 30, 2019
First of all...
Why use a driver update program...
If things work then it works.
Only update drivers if the update resolve an issue you currently have with the device in question.

Now that that's said driver update programs like iobit can potentially install malicious drivers.
Remember... its a DRIVER.
It drives your hardware the "right" way so it knows what to do.
So why use some program to download drivers from some unknown source and install it.
When you have no idea where it came from and what it does.
Driver can easily be altered and tweaked and changed.
Why do you think it gets reported by several AV programs.

If you really need a driver update then stop being so lazy and go to the official website that provides it.
And if you don't then stop complaining when things stop working

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
First of all...
Why use a driver update program...
If things work then it works.
Sometimes you will get better performance after updating drivers. I've actually seen it happen. An example of this is when a generic storage driver is replaced with the proper OEM driver. Yes, you can manually find and install the drivers yourself, but I prefer to use driver update software, as I find it to be much quicker and easier.
Now that that's said driver update programs like iobit can potentially install malicious drivers.
No driver update software will ever install malicious drivers and I can guarantee that you will not be able to give even a single example of Driver Booster or any other driver update software installing malicious drivers. In some cases DriverMax and Driver Fusion will install custom video drivers, which have been tweaked, but no other driver update software will. But other than that, the drivers installed by driver update software are exactly the same as the ones supplied by hardware and PC manufacturers.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I couldn't figure out how to do that.
I don't have Malwarebytes installed on this computer, so am unable to find the setting for that at the moment.
That's the setting:
MBAMquarantaine.PNG

L

Local Host

No driver update software will ever install malicious drivers and I can guarantee that you will not be able to give even a single example of Driver Booster or any other driver update software installing malicious drivers. In some cases DriverMax and Driver Fusion will install custom video drivers, which have been tweaked, but no other driver update software will. But other than that, the drivers installed by driver update software are exactly the same as the ones supplied by hardware and PC manufacturers.
In Windows 10 the drivers need to be signed, so reinforces the fact that no malicious drivers will be installed.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Sometimes you will get better performance after updating drivers. I've actually seen it happen. An example of this is when a generic storage driver is replaced with the proper OEM driver. Yes, you can manually find and install the drivers yourself, but I prefer to use driver update software, as I find it to be much quicker and easier.

Durew

Level 1
Verified
Aug 1, 2017
Hi all,
As a small reminder about what we started discussing in this topic:
PUP = Potentially unwanted program. The criteria used by malwarebytes can be found here: PUP Reconsideration Information & Request Form.
An earlier question about it was asked and answered here: iobit driver booster
If you disagree with driver booster being classified as a PUP than report it as a false positive (with argumentation why) at the MBAM-forum.They know why this choice was made, changing the minds of the people on this forum is not going to change how MBAM handles it.

Discussions about the validity of driver updaters belongs in a different sub-forum IMHO.

I couldn't figure out how to do that.
It is in the protection-tab above "updates" and under (freely translated) "protection against potential threats", use the dropdown-menu's.
JB007 his suggestion undermines the malware-protection AFAIK.

Regards,
Durew

Reactions: Venustus

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
If u clear install windows and a registry cleaner informs you that you can clean 200 registry entries something is totally wrong.
I personally have test a lot registry cleaners and all of them delete questionable entries.
While 99% of registry cleaners will delete needed registry keys, a clean install of Windows, will always have some unneeded registry keys. Examples of this are references to .missing .net files and some uninstall entries which contain no uninstall strings, so are not needed.
Hello,
It is probably not the right thread for posting this question...
Is Kerish Doctor as dangerous as the others cleaners ?

Durew

Level 1
Verified
Aug 1, 2017
As far as my knowledge into the registry goes:
-Unused registry-keys do no harm nor slow-down your computer. (I make an exception for empty 'start program on boot' entries, which I 'remove' with autoruns).
-Removing keys that are used can cause all kinds of problems.
Thus I disadvise the use of registry cleaners in general.

Regards,
Durew

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
As far as my knowledge into the registry goes:
-Unused registry-keys do no harm nor slow-down your computer. (I make an exception for empty 'start program on boot' entries, which I 'remove' with autoruns).
-Removing keys that are used can cause all kinds of problems.
Thus I disadvise the use of registry cleaners in general.

Regards,
Durew
Thanks @Durew for your explanations.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Hello,
It is probably not the right thread for posting this question...
Is Kerish Doctor as dangerous as the others cleaners ?
Kerish Doctor is safe to use, as it won't delete valid registry keys.
If you disagree with driver booster being classified as a PUP than report it as a false positive (with argumentation why) at the MBAM-forum.
Malwarebytes won't care if it's reported as false positive, due their criteria of detecting PUPs. In any case, Malwarebytes don't take too much notice of feedback anyway. They still haven't fixed an issue with the UI in Malwarebytes 3, which I reported to them in 2016 and they said they would fix.
They know why this choice was made, changing the minds of the people on this forum is not going to change how MBAM handles it.
While it won't, there's no harm in having a discussion about Driver Booster. If you disagree, you don't have to participate in this discussion.

Last edited:

Durew

Level 1
Verified
Aug 1, 2017
I have no problem with a discussion about driver booster but, as I stated earlier, think it ought to be moved to a more relevant sub-forum. This would allow those with interest in driver booster but no interest in malwarebytes to find this thread and add their views and input. A call out to the mods if you will.

I need to read a bit more about driver updaters before I can make a contributions to the discussion about the added value of driver booster. I might join in on that discussion later.

Regards,
Durew

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I will say it one more time. ASC and Driver booster It is over 15 years in my system. Never but NEVER I did not have one issue for both . With ASC i delete everything without control , and with driver booster i install everything without control. Or i am stupid or iobit has very trusted programs

Rabitt50

Dec 16, 2019
I used Malewarebyte for about 4 years, then I had the same problems with the Driver Booster program. Pro from iOrbit.

I do not allow any program to prescribe which other software I may and may not have on my pc. Except maybe from my security software. Therefore I have not renewed my Malewarebyte license.

I lack the added security, I admit that and I would like to have my Malewarebyte licenses again (we have 3 pcs).
But as long as Malewarebytes blocks the Drive Booster, because not either.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.