Advice Request Malwarebytes Browser Guard for Edge extension causes high CPU usage

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

nicos181987

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 25, 2021
Hi,

I have a high CPU usage of the Malwarebytes Browser Guard for Edge extension.

If I try to open two or three tabs the CPU usage will be as high as over 10%, plus Microsoft Edge freezes for many seconds until all the tabs are fully loaded; as soon as I disable the extension Microsoft Edge will act normal.

Do you use this extension? If yes, do you notice the same issue as mine?

I also tried deleting as many extension as possible (now I have only about 15 extension installed), I tried to reset the extension and no luck.

Unfortunately, the official Malwarebytes support was useless; I sent them the logs and they didn't know what to respond; I also posted on the official Malwarebytes forum posting my ticket number but no one from the support ever replied.

I really don't know what is the issue here. Any advice?

Thanks.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your issue. It seems like a bug in the extension causing the high CPU usage. You can try reinstalling the extension and see if that helps. If not, you may need to wait for an update from Malwarebytes that fixes this issue. You can also try to reach out to Malwarebytes support again, explaining the issue in detail and asking for a status update on your previous ticket.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Jack

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
MBAM Browser Guard is Manifest V3 compatible. This means that when you enable the adblocker you could with "only' 15 extensions :) active run out you max rule count, Try disable the advertising blocker in MBAM and check whether the problem remains (keep malware protection enabled)

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413
Mar 10, 2024
I also tried deleting as many extension as possible (now I have only about 15 extension installed), I tried to reset the extension and no luck.

Unfortunately, the official Malwarebytes support was useless; I sent them the logs and they didn't know what to respond; I also posted on the official Malwarebytes forum posting my ticket number but no one from the support ever replied.

I really don't know what is the issue here. Any advice?

Thanks.
They are probably trying to figure out if your serious or not. One does not normally collect extensions like they are the toolbars of the past, especially giving the nature of extensions and chances of adding malicious ones.

Placing a security product on your machine does not make it ok to be as risky as possible, the product will not and can not save you from yourself.

It would be in your best interest to limit exposure of the one application you use the most to interact with the web "your browser "and houses all your data that travels through it. Meaning you should really consider ditching most of those extensions.

If you do not adhere to such advice you can only blame yourself for persisting to push boundaries one shouldn't.

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
One does not normally collect extensions like they are the toolbars of the past, especially giving the nature of extensions and chances of adding malicious ones.
Indeed, they only add to the attack surface. And many extensions are poorly written and thus vulnerable to exploitation. Less is more. "Keep it simple security" is one of my guiding principles.

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I was wrong because I have 20 extensions activated, but the thing doesn't change, as I tried disabling extensions one by one to see what could happen, but the issue persists.

Here are a list of installed extension: any advice about which extension may cause problems?

Yeah no. Just no. Keep 4; 1password, adguard, tampermoney, and 2fas. Even 2fas should be on a mobile device separate from your browser. Ditch the rest. There's seriously no need for the rest. The more extensions you have the more resources required, but also the larger your attack surface.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.