Battle Malwarebytes Premium or Emsisoft Anti-Malware 2021

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi I want to know what do you think about Malwarebytes premium i see its a little cheap and like to know if it is a good security solution, I use Emsisoft on another pc and know is good but I am attracted about Malwarebytes, what about performance, false positives and the most important: the support

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
For web protection Malwarebytes is one of the bests. System protection is a different story. Emsisoft has very good signatures and their behavior blocker works better than Malwarebytes.

A nice combo is to choose Emsisoft for system protection and use the browser extension of Malwarebytes.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I have the impression that Emisi is not very proactive in protecting the web, and I have added the list published by MVPS as a blocked site.

NewbyUser

Level 2
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2021
I have the impression that Emisi is not very proactive in protecting the web, and I have added the list published by MVPS as a blocked site.
I thought Emsi incorporates their own hosts file in their product.?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
How does this result in the weak web protection that's claimed? Or not being proactive?
In my environment, there are few cases where Emisi blocked access. According to the log, it was confirmed that the block of the additionally registered site occasionally occurred.

I'm guessing that Emisi doesn't update the list of domains that have problems with web protection so often. That is the reason for the impression of weakness and reluctance. Of course I could be wrong.

I think it's better to rely on browser extensions for web protection, so it doesn't really affect my personal reputation for Emisi.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Thanks guys, sorry for no answer but my grandma is in the last time (dying) . I continue this debate. I have 2 years licence in emsi, but i see mbam whith more protection capabilities. I have a bitdefender total security licence too. I forgot to say my pc is a lenovo workstation e31 (7 years old" and do not have secureboot enabled because it only allow install windows 8 and not have t he recovery media because i lost it .I have to disable secureboot because if i enable it lenovo logo dissapear and i can not boot whith usb or restore windows or reinstall or reestablish or use a system image.
1.- I use emsi too many years and is cool.
2.- I see mbam is too agressive and i like it, but never used as principal av.
3- I know bitdefender have a recovery enviroment and its too many inteeresting to me.

Is secure disable a secure boot? I use uefi whitout it
in this condition what protection you think is better i only stay in academic pages like redalyc or scielo or jstor only use the pc to play steam games original. Only have 2 pirate games (silent hill 2 and3 and i scan it and know are clean)

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Use one of the license products that you already own.
There is no reason to pay for MB since you already have licenses for EMSi and BD.
I would choose Bitdefender over all other options and use that without hesitation.
Can you tell me why bitdefender is good option? i see it is good, but i like to know your opinion

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Can you tell me why bitdefender is good option? i see it is good, but i like to know your opinion
Bitdefender has excellent Virus and Malware detection rates both off and online it's updated regularly, along with excellent web protection with its OTP and Trafficlight extension.

It's what I use personally, and it's given me 0 issues. Also, very light on my system resources.
I was running an older Xeon E3 1241 V3, and it ran Bitdefender just fine for years.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Bitdefender has excellent Virus and Malware detection rates both off and online it's updated regularly, along with excellent web protection with its OTP and Trafficlight extension.

It's what I use personally, and it's given me 0 issues. Also, very light on my system resources.
I was running an older Xeon E3 1241 V3, and it ran Bitdefender just fine for years.
I understand my xeon bro. I have all my passwords and favorite sites in edge, do you know any way to import it to chrome in easy way i know bd is not compatible whith edge,and i use edge for all. I am entered emsi uses same motor but i think bd is a litle good. Am i wrong?

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I understand my xeon bro. I have all my passwords and favorite sites in edge, do you know any way to import it to chrome in easy way i know bd is not compatible whith edge,and i use edge for all. I am entered emsi uses same motor but i think bd is a litle good. Am i wrong?
That is why I use Firefox. I don't use Chrome or Edge that much anymore, so I cant advise you there.

It's a matter of opinion for some, but I rate BD better than EMSisoft.
However, if I had Emsisoft on my system I would not upgrade or change to Bitdefender.

Just choose one and stick with it. You don't need the to run the number 1 rated AV to keep your PC secure.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
However, if I had Emsisoft on my system I would not upgrade or change to Bitdefender.

Just choose one and stick with it. You don't need the to run the number 1 rated AV to keep your PC secure.
+1 on this. Use the licenses you have. I don't know anyone on the forums who uses Malwarebytes real-time on its own. Excellent web protection though!

Check that. @Nightwalker ran MB solo for awhile I think.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
+1 on this. Use the licenses you have. I don't know anyone on the forums who uses Malwarebytes real-time on its own. Excellent web protection though!

Check that. @Nightwalker ran MB solo for awhile I think.

I used Malwarebytes as the only form of real-time protection for a certain period of time for testing and I liked the results.

It is definitely not an antivirus, it is a replacement, having clear limitations as listed below:

MB does not target script files. That means MB will not target; JS, JSE, PY, .HTML, HTA, VBS, VBE, .CLASS, SWF, SQL, BAT, CMD, PDF, PHP, WSF, etc.
It also does not target document files such as; PDF, DOC, DOCx, DOCm, XLS, XLSx, PPT, PPS, ODF, RTF, etc.
It also does not target media files; MP3, WMV, JPG, GIF, etc.

Until MBAM, v1.75, MBAM could not access files in archives but with v1.75 came that ability so it can unarchive a Java Jar (which is a PKZip file) but it won't target the .CLASS files within. Same goes with CHM files (which is a PKZip file) but it doesn't target the HTML files within. MBAM v1.75 specifically will deal with; ZIP, RAR, 7z, CAB and MSI for archives. And self-Extracting; ZIP, 7z, RAR and NSIS executables (aka; SFX files).

MB specifically targets binaries that start with the first two characters being; MZ
They can be; EXE, CPL, SYS, DLL, SCR and OCX. Any of these files types can be renamed to be anything such as; TXT, JPG, CMD and BAT and they will still be targeted just as long as the binary starts with 'MZ'.

MB targets mainly non-viral malware. The exception being a virus dropper ( a malware file that drops a virus and starts a virus infection but is not infected with the virus ) and worms ( such as Internet worms and AutoRun worms ).

MB is incapable of removing malicious code that has been prepended, appended or cavity injected into a legitimate file. That means if a file infecting virus infects a legitimate file MBAM will be unable to remove the malicious code. An anti virus application should be able to remove malicious code from an infected file and hopefully bring it back to its preinfected state. Which may or may not return the file to its original, non infected, checksum value.

A file infecting virus will prepend, append or cavity inject malicious code into a legitimate file. Once infected, that infected file can further the infection by infecting other legitimate files.

On the other hand there are trojans that will prepend, append or cavity inject malicious code into a legitimate file. However that file can not infect other files. The infection stops with that targeted file. These files are either deemed to be "trojanized" or "patched". Since MB can not remove the added malicious code, at best MB will try to replace the trojanized file with a legitimate, unaltered, file.

MB is not a historical anti malware solution. That means it will not target old malware. It's intent is to target 0-Day malware. Malware that is infecting computers Today with malware found in-the-wild, Today. That means that something like the BugBear which infected years ago will not be targeted by MB. Malwarebytes will actually cull their signature database for malware that is no longer seen in-the-wild Today. This is why Malwarebytes requests samples that are submitted for detection consideration be no older than 3 months old.

That said, its protection against exploits (covering many files that its engine doesnt scan), PUPs and threats via the web (malvertising/phishing) are fantastic, the protection module against ransomware is far from perfect, but it is adequate and these are precisely such threats/vectors that predominate in the malware landscape.

I don't think it would be a good idea to replace a traditional antivirus with Malwarebytes, but for those who already have a license I recommend testing it, for example, together with Microsoft Defender it is an interesting security combo, although relatively impactful on the system performance of more modest machines.

I still think that solutions like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESET and even Emsisoft are better than Malwarebytes, but it doesnt mean that is bad or useless, for some users it actually could be better than some of those listed because of how agressive its web + pup protections are.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.