App Review Malwarebytes test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
What is that in layman terms, Thanks
let's say an old sample is a sample known to public for 24-48 hours.(aka shown up on Virustotal, or on other sites)
a good AV would have a signature on the sample in lets say 10 hours.
a bad AV doesn't have a signature in 24-48 hours, meaning that even if you were lucky to not meet the malware earlier, you are still unprotected, after 1-2 whole days.
in this case WD tops Malwarebytes easily.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
Do any of you use Malwarebytes along with kaspersky? I'm having problem with malwarebytes web protection module. It ain't blocking anything. & the recommendation of malwarebytes forum is to disable kaspersky's advanced disinfection module,rootkit scan & other stuffs such as pup,adware etc detection. That's a lot.

Do you people know any other way to work it out???

Reactions: Weebarra

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Do any of you use Malwarebytes along with kaspersky? I'm having problem with malwarebytes web protection module. It ain't blocking anything. & the recommendation of malwarebytes forum is to disable kaspersky's advanced disinfection module,rootkit scan & other stuffs such as pup,adware etc detection. That's a lot.

Do you people know any other way to work it out???
you don't need MB, at all.
do not disable Kaspersky's features to have MB's working, you're esentially replacing superior with inferior

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
you don't need MB, at all.
do not disable Kaspersky's features to have MB's working, you're esentially replacing superior with inferior

Yeah. That's my point. But how come MB is recommending that.They can fix this incompatibility in their next release but they are not hinting at that in any way. & regarding having MB, I've their lifetime license. & some PUP may slip through kaspersky. In old days,opencandy was part of many freewares & kaspersky wouldn't bother to detect that as threat, for which I had to rely upon malwarebytes. But now opencandy is history. & kaspersky has also strengthened their module against may types of PUP, but MB is still considerably better than kaspersky when it comes to PUP or PUM. That's why I still have malwarebytes but their new versions are becoming progressively crappier than the previous versions.
Would you like to recommend any alternative to MB to work along with Kaspersky?
Thanks

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Yeah. That's my point. But how come MB is recommending that.They can fix this incompatibility in their next release but they are not hinting at that in any way. & regarding having MB, I've their lifetime license. & some PUP may slip through kaspersky. In old days,opencandy was part of many freewares & kaspersky wouldn't bother to detect that as threat, for which I had to rely upon malwarebytes. But now opencandy is history. & kaspersky has also strengthened their module against may types of PUP, but MB is still considerably better than kaspersky when it comes to PUP or PUM. That's why I still have malwarebytes but their new versions are becoming progressively crappier than the previous versions.
Would you like to recommend any alternative to MB to work along with Kaspersky?
Thanks
windows smartscreen is good against PUPs, you can use Runbysmartscreen by andy_ful to run any program with smartscreen
zemana is a good alternative but it has a problem with memory leak

make sure you enable kaspersky's PUP protection

also you can install google chrome or firefox extensions such as malwarebytes, norton safe web so they can block PUP downloads before they can reach your PC

unchecky is another option but IMO, it's not good enough

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
windows smartscreen is good against PUPs, you can use Runbysmartscreen by andy_ful to run any program with smartscreen
zemana is a good alternative but it has a problem with memory leak

make sure you enable kaspersky's PUP protection

also you can install google chrome or firefox extensions such as malwarebytes, norton safe web so they can block PUP downloads before they can reach your PC

unchecky is another option but IMO, it's not good enough

I don't use smartscreen, sorry for that.I've configured kaspersky to detect adware or that sorta thing as threats. But to be honest kaspersky ain't upto the mark in this case. But they have improved throughout the time. I'm currently using malwarebytes extension, but it's extra load for me as I already have MB premium. It's like u've swords but u are relying upon pocket knife. & i won't touch norton again. Norton was my first preference of av & it jst had messed everything for me.
I'm thinking of giving a try to zemana. Is memory leak issue has been fixed?

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Disabling some Kaspersky modules isn't acceptable, as already said... check the link I posted in my previous post, is from MB forum and for K2017, but probably also valid for K2018/K2019...

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
Reactions: Weebarra

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I have no MW Premium alongside my Kasperskys, only Free... so I can't help You unless I tried in a new VM with a fresh install of MB in Premium trial period...

Let's see if there are other users with MB Premium + Kaspersky working fine in the forum...

Reactions: yitworths

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
I have no MW Premium alongside my Kasperskys, only Free... so I can't help You unless I tried in a new VM with a fresh install of MB in Premium trial period...

Let's see if there are other users with MB Premium + Kaspersky working fine in the forum...
ok. thanks anyway.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.