App Review Malwarebytes Vs Ransomware 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
The PC Security Channel

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
And the result is? I'm too lazy to watch it. 😊
Leo tested 100 very old ransomware samples and MB successfully blocked all of them.

Then he disabled signature based detection and ran two ransomware samples. MB blocked the first one but missed the second one.

Finally he tested MB’s exploit protection with ransomware simulation scripts. MB blocked early stages of attack but missed encryption stage.

lvseqiji

Level 2
Mar 30, 2022
Malwarebytes does not put BB into their Home version, but they claim that their enterprise version has one. Strange desicion.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Malwarebytes does not put BB into their Home version, but they claim that their enterprise version has one. Strange desicion.

This is not true, the enterprise version (endpoint) is actually the home version (premium) plus some specific remediation, telemetry and management modules; the behavior blocker is the same.

Directly from Pedro Bustamante, head of research and innovation at Malwarebytes:

Hi, was pointed to this post. Pedro Bustamante here, head of research and innovation at malwarebytes... excuse the old Panda icon :)

I can confirm both the MB4core and corporate EP core detection is exactly the same. We do have a separate EDR business product that includes a few more cloud-based detection technologies, but that was not tested at MRG. The bad performance rating was a config error on our part as we provisioned EDR instead of EP (even though the EDR detections don't count for points in the MRG test). In the next test you'll see the real performance impact comparative.

In terms of participating and focusing on 3rd party tests, we made the decision about a year ago to focus on improving in these tests. The launch of Katana by incorporating a few more static (sig and heuristic) and dynamic (runtime sandbox) engine layers has helped bridge the historic gap. During the process we found and fixed bugs as well as created new protection and detection capabilities for existing engine layers, so the exercise to adapt to testing was valuable. We signed up for AV-Comparatives (for both MB4 and Malwarebytes EP) and also AV-Test business tests. You will start seeing Malwarebytes for the first time ever in these tests soon.

Source:

Ps: The behavior blocker of Malwarebytes is a combination of the Anti-exploit + Anti-Ransomware modules along with some machine learning, but I wont put it in the same league of Kaspersky's System Watcher, Bitdefender BB or F-Secure Deepguard.

Last edited:

lvseqiji

Level 2
Mar 30, 2022
This is not true, the enterprise version (endpoint) is actually the home version (premium) plus some specific remediation, telemetry and management modules; the behavior blocker is the same.

Directly from Pedro Bustamante, head of research and innovation at Malwarebytes:

Source:
Ok. Thanks for the info. But I didn't see it in action. I have only seen their anti-exploit module (which is some kind of BB I guess? )reacts to Malware samples.:eek:

Reactions: Nightwalker

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Ok. Thanks for the info. But I didn't see it in action. I have only seen their anti-exploit module (which is some kind of BB I guess? )reacts to Malware samples.:eek:

I edited my post including this info about the BB, it is a combination of the Anti-exploit + Anti-Ransomware modules, it does work, but in my opinion it isnt that versatile or strong compared to Kaspersky's System Watcher or Emsisoft BB for example.

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.