BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
All credits to AV Tester @Brodyaga

All tests were conducted in protected virtual environment. Due to the small number of samples used in these tests, you should take results with a grain of salt. This test shows how the tested product behaves with certain malware samples, under unique circumstances, in a given period of time. Product’s malware detection rate is not an equivalent of protection. This should not be mixed up. MalwareTips encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.

MalwareTips AV Test – March 2017 – Bitdefender Free Antivirus-1.jpg
MalwareTips AV Test – March 2017 – Bitdefender Free Antivirus-2.jpg

PDF

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Hello,
Very bad results for BD free:confused:
Do you think that BD paid would have done better ?
Our tests are a "snapshot" that represents a specific condition relative to the samples used in those tests, so it's not a universal reference.
However, in my opinion, they represent a real condition, sometimes different from the one we are used to see on AV Tests, AV Comp. & Co. (quite inflated reality, marketing driven and not really aseptic).

Bitdefender free version uses the same engine/technology of the paid version, as they say.

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
i was very pleased with bd free's protection when i used it a month ago. saved me from a couple malicious websites. only got rid of it coz it was using too much resources but still uses less resources than a lot of the competitors

Reactions: JB007 and shukla44

Brodyaga

Level 22
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 25, 2014
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition а good product and as for me it showed a good result, of course it lacks those protection modules that are implemented in paid versions, but it certainly will find its audience of users. In May, for comparison, a test will be conducted on the integrated Bitdefender Total Security product. As an option to strengthen the protection, it is possible to apply additional tools and by the way, if you look at the test for February, where the Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition & VoodooShield and the excellent result was shown, you will make a certain choice for yourself. Good luck.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Our tests are a "snapshot" that represents a specific condition relative to the samples used in those tests, so it's not a universal reference.
However, in my opinion, they represent a real condition, sometimes different from the one we are used to see on AV Tests, AV Comp. & Co. (quite inflated reality, marketing driven and not really aseptic).

Bitdefender free version uses the same engine/technology of the paid version, as they say.
Thanks @Winter Soldier for your explanations.

i was very pleased with bd free's protection when i used it a month ago. saved me from a couple malicious websites. only got rid of it coz it was using too much resources but still uses less resources than a lot of the competitors
Thanks @inuyasha

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition а good product and as for me it showed a good result, of course it lacks those protection modules that are implemented in paid versions, but it certainly will find its audience of users. In May, for comparison, a test will be conducted on the integrated Bitdefender Total Security product. As an option to strengthen the protection, it is possible to apply additional tools and by the way, if you look at the test for February, where the Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition & VoodooShield and the excellent result was shown, you will make a certain choice for yourself. Good luck.
Thanks @Brodyaga for your explanations.
Where can I find the results of these tests ? (BD + VS).

Brodyaga

Level 22
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 25, 2014
Where can I find the results of these tests ? (BD + VS).
here
Malware Vault (Samples)

Here is the full report for the month
Bitdefender & VoodooShield Report - February 2017

FINAL STATISTICS OF THE MONTH (February 2017)

Total Samples: 382
Not Tested: 1
Total samples been tested: 381 / 99,7(%)
Total Static Detections: 186 / 48,8(%)
Total Dynamic Detections: 183 / 48(%)
Total Not Detected/Missed: 12 / 2,9(%)
Total Detected: 369 / 96,8 (%)

Total samples pack: 36
Total samples pack been tested: 35
Total final status of the system (clean): 31
Total final status of the system (protected): 4
Total final status of the system (infected): 0
Total final status of the system (encrypted): 0

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
here
Malware Vault (Samples)

Here is the full report for the month
Bitdefender & VoodooShield Report - February 2017

FINAL STATISTICS OF THE MONTH (February 2017)

Total Samples: 382
Total samples been tested: 381 / 99,7(%)
Total Static Detections: 186 / 48,8(%)
Total Dynamic Detections: 183 / 48(%)
Total Not Detected/Missed: 12 / 2,9(%)
Total Detected: 369 / 96,8 (%)

Total samples pack: 36
Total samples pack been tested: 35
Total final status of the system (clean): 31
Total final status of the system (protected): 4
Total final status of the system (infected): 0
Total final status of the system (encrypted): 0
Thanks @Brodyaga

Reactions: lab34

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
It's probably useful to use VS alongside BD (free or paid);)
does BD free have any other useful features other than their engine that's already being utilized by VS when it scans on Virustotal?

Reactions: JB007

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hello,
@mekelek
with BD Free, you have a sort of web shield that warn you about malicious sites (no extensions to install).
And it seems to have a behavior blocker called ATC (active threat control) as in the paid version.

There are no option to adjust those features (ON/OFF, agressive mode..., all is predefined, you cannot modify anything).

What I like in BD Free (I'm trying it since a week), is:
- ergonomy
- simplicity
- light in ressources
- database update every one or two hours

Now I'm lurking to the malware hub to see how it is effective...
Particularly, between the BD Free ATC and the behavior blocker of 360TS, I'm hesitating...

Reactions: JB007 and frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.