Expired malwaretips.com Giveaway: Sandboxie

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdan

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2011
Sandboxie Giveaway

ikT6Ww.gif

It is a pleasure for us to announce our own software license giveaway. Ronen Tzur, the creator of Sandboxie, was kind enough to offer us 10 one year licenses for use at home to give away.

How does Sandboxie work?

Sandboxie creates an isolated environment within your system. Everything that happens inside this isolated environment doesn't affect your files and registry. You can run your everyday applications inside this environment and if something bad happens (possibly malware related) you can rest assured that it won't affect your system. Simply close the sandboxed program and delete the content of the sandbox.

What Sandboxie can do for you?
  • Secure web browsing. This is Sandboxie's first use. The Internet can be a dangerous place, simply by browsing to a bad website you can get infected. Clicking a link can get you there. By running your browser inside Sandboxie you don't have to be afraid of malware when clicking links.
  • Secure e-mail. Malware spreads through e-mail as well. The e-mail might even come from someone you know and look legitimate. You can get infected by clicking a link inside this e-mail or by opening an attachment. Many companies fell victim to this kind of attacks (called spear-phishing). A recent example is the RSA SecurID breach.
  • Ensuring your privacy. Deleting the sandbox means deleting every file that the program you had running as sandboxed created. Browsing history, cookies, cached temporary files gathered during your browsing sessions are gone if you choose to.

What differentiates Sandboxie from other similar applications?
  • First of all, Sandboxie is one of the first of its kind. It exists since 2004 and it is permanently improving. Therefore, it is a mature product and compatibility with known software is really good.
  • It is extremely flexible, offering a large degree of customization. When you sandbox your everyday applications you don't want to lose everything due to virtualization. For example you might stumble upon a good site while using your browser and you need to bookmark it. Sandboxie can allow direct access to your bookmarks without diminishing the protection. You can create multiple sandboxes, every one with a different configuration.

What Sandboxie doesn't do?

Sandboxie is just one layer of protection. It doesn't replace an antivirus, a backup program or a firewall (although you can customize it so that only certain applications running within a sandbox are allowed to access the Internet). Sandboxie can't protect you if your system is already infected.

Free vs. paid
Sandboxie also has a free version. Compared to it, the paid version adds the following functionality:
  • Removes the nag screen that initially appears after you have used Sandboxie for more than 30 days;
  • Enables the Forced Programs and Forced Folders features;
  • Allows you to run programs in more than one sandbox at the same time;
  • See Register Sandboxie page for more information.

The Giveaway starts on 09 May 2011 and ends on 23 May 2011. We will give away 6 licenses to our forum members and 4 licenses on Twitter.

1. To participate in our forum giveaway:

• You have to be a registered member on our forum and have at least 3 posts by the end of the giveaway period.
  • You have to make a post inside this thread and answer the following question:
How would you use the paid version of Sandboxie?
  • You are allowed to participate with one post and one account.
    • Having multiple accounts on our forum is against our rules and will disqualify you;
    • Posting multiple times inside the thread is not allowed. If you want to discuss or ask questions about this Giveaway use the Sandboxie Giveaway Discussion thread.
  • On the last day of the Giveaway the winners will be chosen randomly inside out Chat Room. The time will be announced (probably 6 PM GMT) and any member can assist if he/she wants too.

2. To participate in the Twitter giveaway:
  • On the first day of the Giveaway we will tweet a message about it using our @malwaretipscom Twitter account.
  • Re-tweet this message to participate. >>>> http://twitter.com/?status=MalwareTips%2Ecom%20Giveaway%3A%20Sandboxie%20-%20http%3A%2F%2Fmalwaretips%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ftid%3D1836#!/malwaretipscom/status/67676133621121024
  • On the last day of our giveaway we will choose the winners randomly.

If you want to increase your chances you can use both our forum and Twitter.

Please only enter the giveaway if you don't already have a Sandboxie license.

Good Luck!

G

Guest28

How would I use the paid version of Sandboxie?

I love testing, malware and sometimes don't always like to use a VM or a Virtual box. I love to submit malware to vendors. I do it mostly as a hobby and feel good that i am destroying some of the risks that users have to face. I will mostly use Sandboxie pro to gather malware information and send it over the the vendors as well as the malicious urls. I would use it for my self and for protecting my family.Good luck to anyone who wins!:)

eXPerience

Level 1
Mar 7, 2011
Hi,

I just wanted to participate in this contest because (I rather hate the nag screen and) I would love to use the full version to test it against malware. I don't always want to use a virtual machine, because it takes some time to start up etc, and I think sandboxie is a fast and safe way to check if a file is indeed safe or not =).

good luck to everyone here,
eXp

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
How would I use the paid version of Sandboxie?

To secure my 64bit desktop using Tsur's great new methods of 64bit protection. :)

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Only makes sense to wish for the Full over the Paid version for three very obvious reasons:

Removes the nag screen that initially appears after you have used Sandboxie for more than 30 days;
Enables the Forced Programs and Forced Folders features;
Allows you to run programs in more than one sandbox at the same time (see message SBIE1303)

Good job setting this deal up, look forward to seeing what else you guys come up with!

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
A wise man once said the best things in life are free, WELL.. It turns out to be a huge lie because one of the best programs called Sandboxie isn't...

I think to have the privilege of this great extra layer of security on ones system is an even better way to protect yourself.

I am always coming across new and unknown executable files and I indeed must know if there safe and using Sandboxie to do so is a quick and simple way.

In the end I would just love to get rid of the restrictions enforced on us and to get rid of the nag screen.

I'm secured enough but if I were to win I would be EVEN more secured.

If bogdan & Jack want to live in prosperity they will pick me as a winner xD :heart:

(And if this is for multiple PC's I will be installing my mother a copy, she is the one who does online banking and social networking and we've all seen what happens with them...)

Thank you. :to_keep_order:

Farmer

May 10, 2011
I am writing on this program because it is an additional supplement to the security of our computer. The benefits of using Sandboxie is:
- safe surfing
- increase the privacy
-secure email
-clean on your computer or you can install some software in a sandbox so that your computer is not cluttered.
With the paid version of windows I see no relief in the first run the application in the insulated environment, I can run more than a sandbox at the same time, assign particular application to Sandboxie so that they run automatically under its control. Another privilege is the paid version of the folder monitoring option.
Thank you

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
How Would I use the paid version of Sandboxie?

I'll keep my answer short and simple, To keep me protected from malware no matter what I do on my PC, as simple as that.

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011

To research malware, adware, and other types of files. Mainly because I can't use a a VM because it would take days to download a Windows ISO to my pc due to my slow net connection.

JoeN

Level 6
Verified
May 10, 2011

I'll use several sandbox personalized for the corresponding programs (Opera, IM, VLC etc. and some stuff/trial for test), Forced Programs feature will also be helpful in this action and finally I'll get rid of nag screen.
shared.

212eta

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
May 11, 2011
Sandboxie Paid is the best sandbox application!
If I win a License for Sandboxie Paid, I will use it as follows:

-Isolate my Web Browser from the rest of my System.
-Open doubtful files inside Sandboxie.
-Create custom rules for specific Applications in respect with Internet Access etc.

I'd like to thank you for offering this great security application.
Please, count me in for it. :heart:

I've also Retweet at: https://twitter.com/#!/424tsiai

walang_sangit

Level 1
May 11, 2011
This is software that most I've been looking, simple reason, this software is great for securing your computer, because I often browse the internet and try new software and there is a 64 bit version, I hope I become one winner :)

bowlby4

May 12, 2011
I check phishing websites, and some carry virus or malware. I have a good defense with antivirus and malware protection, but it would be made stronger with Sandboxie.

aijay

May 10, 2011
Its the best in its category software, a unique & efficient way of protection of PC from internet threats.
i love that by this we can open any program, browser in a sandbox, protecting online work as well as
PC from being infected. thanks for this for letting us a chance to win this solid prevention software.

pss0612

May 13, 2011
Sanboxie - a program which has recently become very popular because of its similar properties to the virtual disk, and is incredibly lightweight. In spite of that it is not a security program, and only insulating applications running and installed on your system without having to build a virtual disk. IM Personally I would not run in sanboxie, but all p2p programs . All programs are not known to me, and because of the promotions of which we draw a license (not infrequently until the registry) for later possible use. Programs installed on a second single-use or perform a specific task, not having its counterpart in the portable version. Firefox web browser runs in a sandbox also raises the level of security without having to install a very efficient and heavy equipment applications antywirusowch on a laptop, as is the case in my situation. I thank the organizers for the competition, and all participants good luck.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
@pss0612, Why do you say Sandboxie is not a security program?
My experience using SBIE shows otherwise.
I have been using this little program for over 2 years and ever since
day one, no malware or cookies ever got through. This program is
so good that I am not running a AV real time anymore. Scans have
become sporadic and when they get run, nothing is found.
It can not get any better than that. I dont get it by reading your
post if you are using SBIE or not. If you are not, give it a go. You
will not regret it.

Bo

ziro0z

May 15, 2011
https://twitter.com/?status=malwaretips.com%20Giveaway%3A%20Sandboxie%20-%20http%3A%2F%2Fmalwaretips.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ftid%3D1836#!/malwaretipscom/status/67676133621121024
As using old PC i was fed up of tracking cookies that installed into my PC & that’s all happened PC slows down, hanging up & browsing sucks. after using sandboxie which doesn’t let cookies installed into my windows i was able to recover from this. thanks for this.

airolko

May 15, 2011
I have used Acronis Try & Decide and Returnil. I really would like to give Sandboxie a spin. I “try/test” a lot of programs and I would like to see how it does. I have heard it’s the best of all the “sandbox” products.
Thanks for this giveaway.
https://twitter.com/#!/malwaretipscom/status/67676133621121024

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
airolko said:
I have used Acronis Try & Decide and Returnil. I really would like to give Sandboxie a spin. I “try/test” a lot of programs and I would like to see how it does. I have heard it’s the best of all the “sandbox” products.
Thanks for this giveaway.
https://twitter.com/#!/malwaretipscom/status/67676133621121024
To me it is the best of all sandbox programs. There is a free version
that you can install right away. If you win the giveaway, then you
can register it afterward. You can use the free version for trying
programs. Most programs will install sandboxed, the ones that install
drivers wont. For those programs that install drivers, I suggest you
keep using Returnil for trying them out.

Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.