BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
All credits to AV Tester @omidomi

All tests were conducted in protected virtual environment. Due to the small number of samples used in these tests, you should take results with a grain of salt. This test shows how the tested product behaves with certain malware samples, under unique circumstances, in a given period of time. Product’s malware detection rate is not an equivalent of protection. This should not be mixed up. MalwareTips encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.

MalwareTips AV Test – March 2017 – ESET Smart Security-1.jpg
MalwareTips AV Test – March 2017 – ESET Smart Security-2.jpg

PDF

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I'm taking the ESET results with a grain of salt---a BIG grain.

I would take it with a large grain of salt and pepper:unsure:
for a few AV suites you could argue there are different things, but how can you question it with ESET? other than setting HIPS to interactive mode, there is nothing more you can do, which shouldn't even be considered for the average people imo.

I

illumination

for a few AV suites you could argue there are different things, but how can you question it with ESET? other than setting HIPS to interactive mode, there is nothing more you can do, which shouldn't even be considered for the average people imo.
There is much more you can do with Eset, interactive mode is not the furthest you can take this product, there is policy based mode as well, you can actually disable windows vulnerable services with it much like appguard. Eset is very powerful, just as a few other suites when tweaked. The tests above are done with basically default settings, and are used as a general guide, but not the end all of the products ability. As for average users being able to tweak and adjust the advanced settings, you are correct, it is beyond their abilities, but for users with some experience and knowledge, Eset can be hardened.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
how can you question it with ESET
Eset is an AV that needs a little brain! you have to tweak the firewall, change the default setting and also use Hips(block rule not ask) to protect your important files /folders!
which shouldn't even be considered for the average people imo.
That's right.Eset isn't for a guy who doesn't know anything about Eset settings/features!

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Don't use only test results to evaluate a product.
These results are for Eset at default settings. Eset offers better protection when tweaked.
When these 2 adware entered your system maybe Eset didn't had a sig definition.
Or Eset checked these items and decided that aren't malicious.
Adwares are a grey area for some vendors.
Anyway KIS is a good product and it will protect you.
To make it's protection even better you can ask @harlan4096 what settings you can tweak.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Don't use only test results to evaluate a product.
These results are for Eset at default settings. Eset offers better protection when tweaked.
When these 2 adware entered your system maybe Eset didn't had a sig definition.
Or Eset checked these items and decided that aren't malicious.
Adwares are a grey area for some vendors.
Anyway KIS is a good product and it will protect you.
To make it's protection even better you can ask @harlan4096 what settings you can tweak.

Yes you are right! I still like ESET, so I'm struggling.
Thanks for the tips :)

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
I like eset...but the dynamic score..i'm schocked. So can we say if the signatures of eset fail, the system will be infected?
But he is the king against PUP's...rather at the end it is an user perspective..if he uses good browsing habits and maintains good health..then he may probably work
Considering Free av are providing better Zero day protection at least to some extent..i would probably change if i am PAYING for him..
+ for ESET is it is very less cost in my region(From local re sellers)..so if user pair it with a free solid app like ( NVT Os armour)..Then he would be safe..
PREVENTION is in User Hands not on Any AV Control...User is finally responsible for their decisions and cant blame any AV if it Fails(They are not designed to cure A-Z which is an impossible and Hypothetical thing!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.