Status
Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
As I mentioned above I have licenses for most a. products. Don't need actually them. Not really despaired at all :)
The intention for that action was not to make you desperate, contrary to fill you with joy. :) As you have the licenses for the most programs you need then it's a good prevention method for your mistakenly posted replies in Official MT Giveaways Forum.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
One of the issues is that in general a lot of people don't read signs and important things (how many times do you hear "They didn't read the fine print")? -(no offense intended)! If you enter a giveaway, make a calendar entry such as a reminder in Microsoft Outlook to check MalwareTips on the giveaway end date. It's really simple. As to the VPN issue, I have disabled the option to start my VPN upon Windows startup (also benefits from a faster boot time). People who sell or re-share licenses should be banned. As for the VPN issue, the affirmed policy makes sense to prevent abuse. It takes the opportunity away from a member who may not be able to afford a product, or someone that need it. Intentional duplicate entries could be considered fraud. There are many ways that can determine if it is a single user. Please do not ruin it for everyone.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Does he really need Norton/f-secure/kis license....? seems to me strange

Its a very low chance that somebody would get all three, or even two of those licenses. For example, the KIS giveaway had a 5% chance of winning a license. 5%*5%*5%= .0125% of getting all three giveaways. And 5%*5%= .25%.

By contrast, they have a 15% chance of winning only one license and they want to obviously win one.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The more participants to join then chances are winners will be unique than those active/regular participants.

If same users win those licenses then everything is coincidence only. ;)

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Before this goes off topic.Here is the deal in a nutshell.
These giveaways are good for the vendor and good for MT.That the giveaways are for quality products is definitely a boost to this sites reputation.To build these ongoing collaborations took a lot of hard work and we have earned the trust of the vendors who offer free,quality software licenses to our members.To have a few bad apples jeopardize these relationships is unacceptable.

The latest stunt being someone (maybe a member or maybe a guest) contacted a software vendor customer support asking for the licenses for the giveaway.This is an ongoing giveaway and was done by providing fake MalwareTips emails and posing as MT staff.
Unfortunately the nature of the giveaway business will always attract those that enter for the wrong reasons or for selfish gain.
Personally I would like to think by providing these giveaways we are offering someone who doesn't have the means to purchase these products on their own with a chance to get a license for one of these products.

There are a few nagging problems which continue.
  • Members entering every giveaway and winning multiple licenses.Sure every giveaway winner is totally random but some members have won licenses multiple times.We are working on a solution to this situation.
  • Members failing to read the giveaway rules,guidelines & details.
  • Members posting replies to a MalwareTips giveaway that are not entries.Once again this has been clearly stated
  • Members entering via proxy.It is a rule in place to prevent cheating and must be enforced for everyone.This has been solved.
  • Members entering giveaways and then after winning decline the license in their winning PM.Some type of courtesy would be appreciated for those running the giveaways but more importantly to those other members who entered the giveaway.
  • Members posting improper entries,using other members links and the wrong social media share links. These rules are clearly stated in every giveaway thread.
  • Some winning members asking in every giveaway "How long do I have to activate the license" I am under the assumption that if you enter a giveaway you actually want the license and are going to activate it.Unless this is specifically stated by the vendor I will not ask them.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Some suggestions were made in the Kerish Doctor Giveaway about some changes to giveaways.

These will be for a trial period for the following changes:
  • Current giveaways will have a (3) day winning PM reply requirement
  • The next giveaway will be for a specific level member and above

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
One suggestion regarding posting social media links in the giveaways. I think it would be better if the links are only visible to the member who posted and the moderators. The links can be seen by any one visiting the page including non members also. It can give out a lot of info about a member to totally unknown persons. As this forum is related to security, then this type of option should be there. It may be difficult thing to do but atleast non members shouldn't be able to see the links.

Reactions: tonibalas
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Personally I would like to think by providing these giveaways we are offering someone who doesn't have the means to purchase these products on their own with a chance to get a license for one of these products.
Same, thats why i don't put my entry in most MalwareTips Giveaways, because i believe in solidarity and equality. Giving other MT members higher chanse to win (considering that they will use won licenses/keys as soon as possible, not save them for later use).

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
One suggestion regarding posting social media links in the giveaways. I think it would be better if the links are only visible to the member who posted and the moderators. The links can be seen by any one visiting the page including non members also. It can give out a lot of info about a member to totally unknown persons. As this forum is related to security, then this type of option should be there. It may be difficult thing to do but atleast non members shouldn't be able to see the links.
If we were to implement that then all contestants would have to PM the staff member running the giveaway with the link which would add that much more work than there already exists running the giveaways.
Frankly if this were the case I would not have the time to run these anymore.
  • Vendors cannot see the links if they wanted to
  • By having social media accounts there is an inherent privacy concern anyway.
  • You can set privacy settings within your social media accounts who can view your account pages.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
May be later on the software provider will incorporate this feature in their software.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
I understand the privacy people are talking about - but the administrative burden alone. 100 + entries and all of the private messages/conversations. Verification and back and forth would require a separate staff member, lots of extra time and would probably be a disincentive for the amount of future giveaways held (I am only speculating - if it were me).

It does help promote MalwareTips, and essentially the companies that are generous enough to offer licenses. They are able to get some advertising/promotion of their software for their unconditional generosity.

I have been the recipient of a few giveaways and was/am SO grateful. I could never have afforded them and they have saved me from multiple infections.

The sole thing I could add to eliminate all complaints is to add one of those overlays before someone replies that essentially says make sure to read the giveaway rules - but it's kinda unnecessary/redundant as there are many posts stickied and people should be interested in the software they are entering.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An extreme example is kind of like a mail in rebate. If you don't read every single word of the fine print and instructions - failure to follow a procedure could invalidate it.

I think that the staff have wisely locked threads after one is closed to prevent congrats to the winners replies after results- Well meaning by everyone but can be distracting.

I hope this is not offensive to anyone - as it wasn't intended to be - just a perspective by someone who has to deal with administrative paperwork on a regular basis - it gets to be too much, fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.