Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
In continuation of our commitment to reduce fragmentation of the web for all developers, and to create better web compatibility for our customers, we plan to support the Declarative Net Request API and other changes proposed as part of Manifest V3.

The decision to embrace Manifest V3 changes is based on our dedication to enhance privacy, security & performance for the benefit our end users as well as to allow developers to extend & provide rich experiences in Microsoft Edge.

These changes are available for testing in the Beta and Stable channels. For more details, please refer to Prepare to update your extensions from Manifest v2 to v3.

How will your extension be impacted?​

If you are an extension developer, you may already be aware that the background service worker change and the introduction of the Declarative Net Request API would require you to update your extension. Please refer to the Migrating to Manifest V3 document for exact changes required to port your extensions from Manifest V2.

We believe that these changes will not compromise the capabilities of your extension or reduce the potential that the extension ecosystem has. These changes should reduce the time taken to review each submission, and improve certification turnaround time, thus reducing the overall cost of developing and maintaining extensions.

We recognize the value of content blocking extensions and appreciate the role they play in honoring user’s choice by blocking advertisements and enhancing privacy by blocking cookies and we want developers to continue to offer these capabilities.

After an extensive review of the concerns raised by content blockers and the community, we believe that a majority of those concerns have been resolved or will be resolved before Web Request API is deprecated. If you continue to face issues, we encourage you to share your feedback, where our team can engage to understand and address your feedback.

What happens next?​

Once the changes are finalized in Chromium, we will share an update on our timelines to provide sufficient time for developers to make the necessary changes to their extension and publish to our store.

In the meantime, we look forward to your feedback and to addressing questions, comments, and concerns. You can reach the team on Twitter @MSEdgeDev, or via the Microsoft Edge Insider forums on TechCommunity.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Microsoft said:
We recognize the value of content blocking extensions and appreciate the role they play in honoring user’s choice by blocking advertisements and enhancing privacy by blocking cookies and we want developers to continue to offer these capabilities.

ManifestV3 said:
30,000chrome.declarativeNetRequest.MAX_NUMBER_OF_RULESThe maximum number of rules that an extension can specify across its enabled static rulesets. Any excess rules will be ignored and an install warning will be raised.
5,000chrome.declarativeNetRequest.MAX_NUMBER_OF_DYNAMIC_RULESThe maximum number of dynamic rules that an extension can add.

Currently on 653 network rules (537 from Kees1958 Top500 and 116 rules in My Rules/My Filters), so enough head margin when you ask me.

Alternatively you can use BeerIsGood (AKA @security123) setup:
- use Next DNS and block most of them at DNS level (guide: link)
- add BeerIsGood List (link) and add them to Edge Tracking Protection (link)

Last edited:

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
I use cosmetic filtering a lot. 30,000 today. 10,000 tomorrow. 5,000 next week. Never negotiate with Google. They implement things to slowly cripple you. Look at Firefox and how it's been pushed into a corner. Look at how they bullied the original Edge into dropping their perfectly good rendering engine.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Mozilla’s on manifest V3

Ublock origin will be available on firefox after v3 , brave will have their built-in adblocking after v3

Just curious do current beta/dev edge versions with the manifest v3 enabled gets any speedy/ performance upgrades as their intention were making browsers faster , i think i give a go with dev

Mountainking

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2018
Ublock origin will be available on firefox after v3 , brave will have their built-in adblocking after v3

Just curious do current beta/dev edge versions with the manifest v3 enabled gets any speedy/ performance upgrades as their intention were making browsers faster , i think i give a go with dev
What are we talking about here? Shaving 30ms off a rendering process?
Wins in synthetic benchmarks?

I doubt any of the "speed improvements" will be felt by users. If it really was a case of performance gains, I'm sure there would have been benchmarks.
This is not that hard to test also. Have a portable V2 manifest browser and test vs the crap (v3 manifest) that is offered later. I'm sure without proper blockers, it's going to be slower and NOT faster.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
What are we talking about here? Shaving 30ms off a rendering process?
Wins in synthetic benchmarks?

I doubt any of the "speed improvements" will be felt by users. If it really was a case of performance gains, I'm sure there would have been benchmarks.
This is not that hard to test also. Have a portable V2 manifest browser and test vs the crap (v3 manifest) that is offered later. I'm sure without proper blockers, it's going to be slower and NOT faster.
Cant say much as the browser still supports v2 & v3 , not extensions are broken yet

Yeah true

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Rules have to be read by the extension, so the cold first time launch is delayed when having a lot of rules But the benchmarks were with old fashioned hard disks (1 second on a low spec, 0.5 second on a high spec PC). . With powerful PCI M2 SSD's this delay could be far less, compared when the Manifest V3 concept was written (say 0.2 seconds delay maximum on modern midspec AMD or Intel with PCI/M2 SSD). So only reason to use the new API is enhanced security (less possible misuse of rights by extensions).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.