Many times I hear about something called MD5 hashes, etc..... What is it?

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
The title explains everything :D
"Many times I hear about something called MD5 hashes, etc..... What is it?"

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
MD5 is a type of algorithm for encrypting files. Often it's used for verification.

Let's say I download malwarebytes.exe from softpedia.com

How do I know it's legit?

Well I go to malwarebytes.com and see if there's a published MD5 or I check a known good file's MD5.

If the hashes are different I know that the file I've got is different. If the file is the same they are almost definitely the hash.

It's also helpful for checking if a file is corrupted. If part of the data wasn't written correctly the MD5 will be different from a known-good source.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
MD5 hashes, SHA hashes and others were really useful since you can search the specific hash for additional information.

Mostly tools were used to translate the file from MD5 Hash which is pretty less hassle.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I think this is the easiest application to compare file hash.

HashTab

The application incorporates with the OS shell, so all you need to do to compare a file hash is to right click on a file and select properties, Then click on the tab for file hash and you can compare all the popular formats.

Even better, it will automatically import the contents of the clipboard. Just copy the MD5, SHA1, or whichever you prefer while the file is downloading. Then when the file is downloaded, go to Properties, File Hashes, and it will automatically compare the files hash with the hash stored in the clipboard.

Can't get any easier than that. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
They were also same as MD5 -Hash however its like SHA-1 is an old type form of cryptography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-1

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Even I learned a bit more about it, had vague idea but never really researched... thanks for the input/replies/links guys. :

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.