Many VPN Providers Leak Customer's IP Address via WebRTC Bug

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Around 20% of today's top VPN solutions are leaking the customer's IP address via a WebRTC bug known since January 2015, and which apparently some VPN providers have never heard of.

The discovery belongs to Paolo Stagno, a security researcher who goes by the pseudonym of VoidSec, and who recently audited 83 VPN apps on this old WebRTC IP leak.

Stagno says he found that 17 VPN clients were leaking the user's IP address while surfing the web via a browser.

The researcher published his results in a Google Docs spreadsheet. The audit list is incomplete because Stagno didn't have the financial resources to test all commercial VPN clients.

The researcher is now asking the community to test their own VPN clients and send him the results. For this, he set up a demo web page that users must access in their browser with their VPN client enabled. The code running on this page is also available on GitHub, if users want to test the leak locally, without exposing their IP on somebody else's server.

WebRTC leak known since 2015

Stagno's code is based on the WebRTC bug discovered in January 2015 by security researcher Daniel Roesler. Back then, Roesler found that WebRTC STUN servers, which intermediate WebRTC connections, will keep records of the user's public IP address, along with his private IP address, if the client is behind-NAT network, proxy, or VPN client.

The problem was that STUN servers would disclose this information to websites that had already negotiated an WebRTC connection with a user's browser.

Since then, many advertisers and law enforcement agencies have used this WebRTC-related bug to acquire a site's visitor's IP address.

Most browsers come with WebRTC enabled by default

Browsers, who at that point spent years integrating WebRTC support in their code, rolled out features or official add-ons that would prevent the IP leak, albeit cripple some of WebRTC's real-time communications features.

Nonetheless, browsers didn't disable WebRTC, and the feature is still enabled by default in all major browsers —except the Tor Browser, Edge, and Internet Explorer.

https://www.bleepstatic.com/images/n...er-support.png

Below is a list of VPN providers that Stagno found vulnerable to IP leaks. Around 80 commercial VPN providers remained untested at the time of writing. For updated results, please refer to Stagno's Google Docs sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...0ug/edit#gid=0

VPN Leak - VoidSec

BolehVPN (USA Only)
ChillGlobal (Chrome and Firefox Plugin)
Glype (Depends on the configuration)
hide-me.org
Hola!VPN
Hola!VPN Chrome Extension
HTTP PROXY navigation in browsers that support Web RTC
IBVPN Browser Addon
PHP Proxy
phx.piratebayproxy.co
psiphon3 (not leaking if using L2TP/IP)
PureVPN
SmartHide Proxy (depends on config)
SOCKS Proxy on browsers with Web RTC enabled
SumRando Web Proxy
TOR as PROXY on browsers with Web RTC enabled
Windscribe Addons

Some VPNs keep logs

And in another similarly worrisome research, the team at TheBestVPN.com also discovered that 26 out of 115 VPN clients they tested kept some types of log files.

The study didn't analyze actual VPN client installations, but privacy policies published online by each service.

Please refer to this previously posted link here

26 of the 115 most popular VPNs are secretly keeping tabs on you

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...ia-webrtc-bug/

Last edited by Apparatus; Yesterday at 04:06 PM..

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The issue with WebRTC ( Web Real-Time Communications ) is not something new as the information been around for years as mentioned in the article but I like alot it's shared as it needs the propagation. Thanks @HarborFront (y)

Browser vendors is addressing it more actively nowdays and thats about time but it's still there and too many users falls into it's trap and feels safer behind a VPN when in fact the VPN they perhaps even paid for does not work as intended/wanted and that's not the VPN vendors fault just to be clear as WebRTC is a built-in browser feature and not a VPN vendor feature. That's a big difference. VPN vendors ( not all as shown in the article ) have ofcourse understood that they can't ignore it and updated there clients software with options to kill it. Sorry to say I'm pretty sure we will never see the developers on WebRTC fix this as they normaly tends to ignore the issue and also point there fingers/solutions on others.

Here's some more WebRTC leak tests and ofcourse enable your VPN first! ;)

IP Info

https://diafygi.github.io/webrtc-ips/

WebRTC Leak Test - IP Address Discovery - Media Device ID Fingerprint - BrowserLeaks.com

IP/DNS Detect

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
After starting the VPN you can test at ipleak.net or browserleaks.com

I am puzzled. I get nothing but my VPN (Avira Phantom VPN Pro) supplied IP address with those tests...

Edit: I checked with both my desktop and my android, and have found nothing more than my VPN assigned IP or my internal private 192.168.x.x address. So I don't see how this is exposing my ISP address?

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I am puzzled. I get nothing but my VPN (Avira Phantom VPN Pro) supplied IP address with those tests...

Edit: I checked with both my desktop and my android, and have found nothing more than my VPN assigned IP or my internal private 192.168.x.x address. So I don't see how this is exposing my ISP address?
Yup you are right. I just retested Avira Paid. There's no leakage shown

Thanks

Reactions: zzz00m

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Just tested and found for Android that

Free Windscribe VPN
Free ProtonVPN
Paid Avira Phantom VPN Pro

are all leaking my ISP address :rolleyes:

I just tested with Windscribe Free, and only found that it's leaking my internal private network NAT address 192.168.x.x via WebRTC. No sign of my ISP address though.

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Great post HarborFront.

Besides my strong support of ProtonVPN, I highly recommend Protonmail too. Both have free starter services, and more importantly to me, their own Android apps in playstore. I'll recommend this testing again, "ipleak.net" mentioned by another member. It covers all aspects, including WebRTC.
Link:
IP/DNS Detect

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.