Marko :D - Security Configuration (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marko :)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Hello! :)
I've been using this combination for a long time and I haven't got any viruses at all. Windows Updates are disabled but I still install some important security updates. I don't have any important documents on my PC so data backups are made only when I make some modifications. All not important data are uploaded to cloud. System Image Backups are created every month using Windows default backup tool and that's about it.

Last edited:

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I have disabled updates because of telemetry. I don't want it because a lot of people complained that after installing updates with telemetry, they have high CPU usage and that their PC is unusable. Is there any list with safe updates that doesn't containt telemetry?

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
This is a good question, and one I'd not thought over until now.
To begin, I found the following list of telemetry downloads which can be removed:
Then, I remembered how Windows 7 SP 1 & 8.1 allowed you to choose which updates would be installed. If this is no longer possible, I would perform the updates (for security) as mentioned by frogboy & TheMalwareMaster, but then go back and remove (for privacy) only the newer updates which may contain telemetry.

Update:

Here's another link you might find helpful.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows 7 affords the user the choice of which updates are installed.Telemetry concerns or not you at least be installing important security updates which fix OS security vulnerabilities.
You should also consider some type of system back up solution.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Good security configuration (on-demand scanners department seems to be full enough :D).

Regarding the telemetry, as already mentioned, it is not only related to some Windows updates and the only thing that you get by turning off the updates is to avoid important security patch for a not very young OS (if you forget to do it manually).
Telemetry is also enabled by specific services and you can mitigate something by following @Cats-4_Owners-2 tips.

Last edited:

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Congratulations, Marko :D, on now having Security Patches for your system!

Another MalwareTips practice I have incorporated on our Windows Systems at home is through using local rather than Microsoft accounts which further protect your privacy.

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Congratulations, Marko :D, on now having Security Patches for your system!

Another MalwareTips practice I have incorporated on our Windows Systems at home is through using local rather than Microsoft accounts which further protect your privacy.
I have Windows 7 and there is no option to create Microsoft account so I'm safe. :D

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Since you're on windows 7 you shouldn't rely on signature protection. I recommend relying on HIPS, firewall, and whitelisting. For your firewall glasswire is fine. For hips you can use HMPA. For whitelisting you can use voodoo shield for free.

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Since you're on windows 7 you shouldn't rely on signature protection. I recommend relying on HIPS, firewall, and whitelisting. For your firewall glasswire is fine. For hips you can use HMPA. For whitelisting you can use voodoo shield for free.
I'm using HIPS from Avast. I'll think about VoodooShield whether I should install it or not because I'm using this combination for very, very long time and I didn't got any virus. Thanks for recommendation. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.