Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I believe that Malware Tips would be improved by a little bit less use of acronyms. I think the extreme amount of acronym use on the website makes it more insular and less positioned for growth. It appears to me that growth is indeed valued and desired on the website. When newcomers land here from a web search and have to plow through lots of unfamiliar acronyms it's not going to be maximally appealing.

I know that CF/CS means CruelSister's configuration of Comodo Firewall, but a newcomer to the website is very unlikely to know that. And I must admit even as a regular on the website at times I scratch my head wondering what an acronym refers to. I just now saw the thread Security Product Acronyms used on MalwareTips (Helpful for New Members), and that's good to have; I'll bookmark it. (It does need some updating.) But visitors to the website aren't going to be aware of that thread.

I propose that we encourage people to spell out what they are referring to in their first reference in the thread and then use the acronym in subsequent references if they desire. The way things are typically done in good writing is put the full designation and the acronym together in the first reference, as in :

Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK)

and then say EEK in subsequent references.

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Who would waste their time to type words when an established acronyms can be used? Just google what you don't know and if you still can't figure it out ask the person that posted it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Instead of trying to change behaviours of an entire community, how about we pull together an acronym list? Thats how my business deals with it and its not only informative, its interesting!
A thread was created by a member in 2012, and last updated in 2016.
https://malwaretips.com/threads/sec...on-MalwareTips-helpful-for-new-members.12405/

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I think it would be easier to stick an acronym thread to the front page of the forum than trying to make every poster stop using acronyms....

I make it clear in my original post that I am not out to ban acronyms. (In fact, I have been known to use them myself. :D) What I'm saying is it would be good to establish a norm of adhering to the typical practice in good writing in which the first use of the acronym is accompanied by the full designation spelled out. I haven't run a website, so I'm not in a good position to advise the best way to promote such a norm.

I think we need to do something because this wonderful, valuable website is Acronym City, which as I said bewilders newcomers and thus is not the best way to promote the growth and health of the website. For those of who love the website so much that we would be greatly pained to lose it, it makes sense for us to cultivate a consciousness of doing our best to make the website as appealing as possible to non-members. It's vital that we grab a whole lot of the new people who land on this website from search engine results.

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
It's probably fair and a good practice to spell out acronyms at first use in most threads.

When I start a thread, I'm careful to spell out everything.

For SMEs (Subject Matter Experts) of course, this is not necessary. But for new MT (Malware Tips) members and the many looking in, it would make it a friendlier place.

• Applause
Reactions: Jack and Brie

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.