Not open for further replies.

bunchuu

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
I prefer MBAE free than HPMA free.
However, can we run MBAE pro and EMET togather?

Reactions: Hangtooth

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I prefer MBAE free than HPMA free.
However, can we run MBAE pro and EMET togather?

Yes you can. MBAE is designed to work alongside with EMET. When I covered the same apps with MBAE and EMET they worked well. Though I see no point here - it's better to cover apps with MBAE.

The only reason to use them together if you have MBAE free. Then just cover with EMET all apps not covered with MBAE.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
The latest version may not be. When I install the latest version MBAE on a machine which has EMET, MBAE says that it is incompatible with EMET and requires me to uninstall EMET first.

Interesting. Somewhere in MBAE site I read that MBAE is designed to be alongside EMET.

I always have MBAE premium. So in my case EMET comes after MBAE and EMET doesn't protest against the first dweller. EMET is more tolerant here. :)

D

Deleted member 178

Yes you can. MBAE is designed to work alongside with EMET. When I covered the same apps with MBAE and EMET they worked well. Though I see no point here - it's better to cover apps with MBAE.

The only reason to use them together if you have MBAE free. Then just cover with EMET all apps not covered with MBAE.

just to precise things, only MBAE free will works with EMET.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
@Umbra

When I install the free version of MBAE, it requires me to uninstall EMET first. Following is the screenshot.

q0t6vVT.png

If you are 100% sure :D that MBAE Free is compatible with EMET, then this problem may be because the free version and the paid version of MBAE have the same installer. (More precisely, there is only one kind of installer available.) If so, then maybe we can solve this problem by installing MBAE free ahead of EMET.

D

Deleted member 178

@Umbra

When I install the free version of MBAE, it requires me to uninstall EMET first. Following is the screenshot.

q0t6vVT.png

If you are 100% sure :D that MBAE Free is compatible with EMET, then this problem may be because the free version and the paid version of MBAE have the same installer. (More precisely, there is only one kind of installer available.) If so, then maybe we can solve this problem by installing MBAE free ahead of EMET.

i used the combo once, i didn't had issues, but it was old versions and not for a long time.

install MBAE free first then EMET? ;)

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Now I have for a while MBAE Premium + EMET 5.5 beta. EMET is installed after MBAE. MBAE and EMET are at max possible settings. No problems so far except I had to check off some mitigations for some apps in EMET, though it happens without MBAE as well.

Reactions: Hangtooth
D

Deleted member 178

Now I have for a while MBAE Premium + EMET 5.5 beta. EMET is installed after MBAE. MBAE and EMET are at max possible settings. No problems so far except I had to check off some mitigations for some apps in EMET, though it happens without MBAE as well.

use one or the other , not both.

MBAE premium > EMET

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015

Use an Anti-Exploit Program to Help Protect Your PC From Zero-Day Attacks

Extracted from the article:
While you should use an antivirus (even just the Windows Defender tool built into Windows 10, 8.1, and 8) as well as an anti-exploit program, you shouldn’t use multiple anti-exploit programs. It may be possible to rig Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and EMET to work together, but you aren’t necessarily getting twice the protection — there’s a lot of overlap.

These types of tools could potentially interfere with each other in ways that cause applications to crash or just be unprotected, too.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
@Umbra @Solarlynx

Hi, just now I try to install MBAE 1.8.X free and EMET 5.2 on a virtual machine running win 8.1 (32 bit).

MBAE is installed first. Then installing EMET. This combo does not cause BSOD after reboot. But I am afraid that they might still be incompatible with each other.

In my test, I configured EMET such that firefox is protected by EMET. In particular, for firefox, EAF, EAF+, ROP Caller Check and ASR are disabled, while the other protections are enabled.

In such case, when I launch firefox, EMET says that it detects "SimExecFlow mitigation", and firefox crashes. Following is the screenshot.

h81207s.png

This problem is solved after I uninstall MBAE.

Last edited:
L

LabZero

@Umbra @Solarlynx

Hi, just now I try to install MBAE 1.8.X free and EMET 5.2 on a virtual machine running win 8.1 (32 bit).

MBAE is installed first. Then installing MBAE. This combo does not cause BSOD after reboot. But I am afraid that they might still be incompatible with each other.

In my test, I configured EMET such that firefox is protected by EMET. In particular, for firefox, EAF, EAF+, ROP Caller Check and ASR are disabled, while the other protections are enabled.

In such case, when I launch firefox, EMET says that it detects "SimExecFlow mitigation", and firefox crashes. Following is the screenshot.

h81207s.png

What would be the reason to install EMET + MBAE?
Of course they overlap and does not improve safety.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
@Umbra @Solarlynx

MBAE is installed first. Then installing MBAE. This combo does not cause BSOD after reboot. But I am afraid that they might still be incompatible with each other.

h81207s.png

"MBAE is installed first. Then installing MBAE." maybe "MBAE is installed first. Then installing EMET."?

Sometimes you have to uncheck boxes in default settings (or even check free boxes) in EMET. It happens even without MBAE. In this case it happened because of MBAE. That's not a big problem as other mitigations of EMET still working.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
What would be the reason to install EMET + MBAE

If you read all the posts in this thread, you would find that I am not the one who support this combo.;)

maybe "MBAE is installed first. Then installing EMET."?

Sorry, here I make a mistake. I have revised it.

Sometimes you have to uncheck boxes in default settings (or even check free boxes) in EMET.

Maybe. But I have not figured out how to configure EMET such that it can work with MBAE...

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
that is new for me, i missed it.

If they said so , then just try the combo for some weeks and give us your feedback ;)

What would be the reason to install EMET + MBAE?
Of course they overlap and does not improve safety.

Actually I'm not a fun of using this combo. Next quote from pbust discourages using them both together:

But yes, having 2 anti-exploit products together can cause some unforeseen troubles, even as far as reduced protection if they don't play really nice with each other internally.

As @Online_Sword mentioned MBAE demands uninstalling EMET first. So I'll use EMET + MBAE only for a while and return to MBAE only.

Cheers!

D

Deleted member 178

@Umbra @Solarlynx

MBAE is installed first. Then installing EMET. This combo does not cause BSOD after reboot. But I am afraid that they might still be incompatible with each other.

h81207s.png

so i was right not to mix different anti-exploits.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Not practical and efficient cause those anti-exploit modules contains very crucial components that may affect the stability of the system so either choose one of them for the safety.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.