Battle MBAM Pro or MSE..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Bone

Thread author
May 28, 2011
You have one choice, and one choice only.:cool: Would you use MBAM Pro or MSE as your ONLY real time malware protection?

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
exterminator20 said:
I agree with Bo but I still use a security suite and some on demand scanners but SBIE is a great program and your chances are greatly reduced if you run things sandboxed. It doesnt have to be that complicated.Like Bo said think about it, if you browse and run everything in sandboxie not much to worry about.

This is really the best way to use Sandboxie. I have nothing to add.

Bo

P

Plexx

What was once a MBAM Pro vs MSE thread now turned into preventing Rootkits and Bootkits.

Are we all that paranoid about such prevention?

Chances of a user getting a Rootkit, let alone a Bootkit in real world is way less than if you are testing the capabilities of products bombarding samples at it or the user is actively looking for infections by downloading every single pop up that appears within an hour and even so, the system would be crawling more with malware infections before a R/B appears.

To try to get back on topic, neither one above prevent any of those.

There will probably be detected variable but you can forget in preventing them to happen.

Focus on common sense and browsing habits first and then apply a decent HIPS with BB if you must.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Please stay on topic.

If you feel you need to discuss other matters, please create a new thread.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Facepalm
MBAM = Anti-malware (should be used with a Anti-virus or Internet security software like Eset smart security,Kaspersky Internet Security etc.)

MSE = Microsoft Security Essentialist (should be used with a Anti-spyware or Anti-malware. A anti-virus software by Microsoft,free,not much pros about it,poor detection rate,real-time protection half-decent etc.,I would rather recommend Avast free antivirus for free or Kaspersky Internet security for paid.)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Payback. I disagree slightly with your comment.
Antivirus software now incorporate an Anti-Spyware engine, although it may not be up to par with dedicated Anti-Spyware tools.

I'd say MSE has solid protection for any user, and since v4.1 it requires less user interaction.

Malwarebytes real-time protection is more user interactive, and is either a Pro or Con for some, depending on the User & their needs.

D Bone

Thread author
May 28, 2011
Thanks for everyone's input on my strange AV/malware battle. The vast majority would feel safer with MBAM Pro even though it's not meant to be a stand alone solution. I am one of them.

aquarius

Verified
Jan 15, 2013
D Bone said:
You have one choice, and one choice only.:cool: Would you use MBAM Pro or MSE as your ONLY real time malware protection?

For me MSE as a real-time protection.
MBAM is intended to be a companion, second opinion not the main solution. Despite the popular opinion regarding the low detection rate, MSE behaves surprisingly good! Take a look here if you don't credit my tests:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm

Question: Windows Defender counts as real time or not? :D

aquarius

Verified
Jan 15, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
aquarius said:
Question: Windows Defender counts as real time or not? :D

On win7, no; on Win8, yes

Then we have to be more specific:

- win8 with WindowsDefender8 on (kind of MSE+WindowsDefender7) -> MBAM

- win7 -> MSE (and WindowsDefender7 on if no other antimalware companion)
Don't stone me for WindowsDefender on! :p

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Earth said:
@Payback. I disagree slightly with your comment.
Antivirus software now incorporate an Anti-Spyware engine, although it may not be up to par with dedicated Anti-Spyware tools.

I'd say MSE has solid protection for any user, and since v4.1 it requires less user interaction.

Malwarebytes real-time protection is more user interactive, and is either a Pro or Con for some, depending on the User & their needs.

Well,actually...you still need a on-demand scanner like Hitman pro or MBAM or both of them...anyway you are 85% right (agree with the highlighted part)

P

Plexx

You could still have it but it is just for the style of: Better safe than sorry, saying.

One thing about MBAM Pro is its resource usage, which is far heavier than MSE.

However one cannot be compared with another (I believe it has been said in this thread, if not I'll say it): 2 different solutions that focus on different approaches. MBAM is for removal while MSE is an AV suite.

MBAM vs Windows Defender or SAS or IMF would be more of more interesting comparison and would generate more valuable feedback (excluding detection rate subject). What I am referring to is lightness, removal capabilities features etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.